Get your Windows vista beta 2 cd FREE!

iLLlegal

One of the new internal changes is an new TCP/IP Stack, rewritten and faster. Browsing speeds and general response to user input is much fast compared to XP (both XP32 and 64bit versions)... at least for me it is.

Long version:

Don't forget that Vista is still beta, try not to judge the final product on any given build that is still under development.

From this point on MS will be focusing on fine tuning the OS, sometimes it will work and sometimes not (or IOW some builds will show improvement while some will seem to go backwards) Sometimes they do knowingly make changes that will effect the performance in a negative way, but that is because they are working on something else at the time and need beta tester input about that specific portion of the code before they can move forward.

There are many people using lower end systems who have reported good performance and there are also many with brand new high end systems that are having trouble. Some video cards are causing problems right now, but again it is a matter of fine tuning the code.

Also the third party companies are working on problems related to their programs and device drivers. It is a major project to make an OS work, and one that many people and companies all have to work together to achive..

Short version:

Give it time, and try to hold judgements for the final product... after all that really is the only one that matters to end users, isn't it -thnkboutit-

------------------

Even after the final version ships, it will continue to improve. Many people who "hated" XP when it first came out have now found it to work just fine - everything is "work in progress" ;)

you talking about the IPv6 junk? supposedly the next great leap forward.. or it will be once the world actually starts using it. until then, it's completely redundant, and confuses older networks. or rather, the ocmputers get confused, and network latency goes way up as the systems try to utilize addresses that don't exist, until you shut it off, or change your preferences... been there, fixed that.

in all, it makes sense from a tech-geek stance, in that it'll give the world more IP addresses, for future expandability (big word among tech geeks, "future expandability") and it's good that they're finally trying.. sadly, they need to make it a backup protocol. last I heard, they still came on loadup with it enabled. I may be wrong, it's been a few months since I TSed Vista.

There is more to it than just that as you talking about only one part of the stack, I am referring to the entire thing. It was rewritten and is no longer a 15yr old design with patches to make new technologies work

For example, v6 is now native to the OS and no longer a layer added to the original v4 stack. Before, they each used separate drivers and now it is one that manages both. This alone allows for better performance because there are not as many layers or steps to go through to get the info were you want it.

Even support for wireless networking is native now, no longer something that was added because people had to have it right now

But anyway... based on my usage, overall it seems to be much quicker and performs better.

"it's been a few months since I TSed Vista." that is a long time late in a beta... and depending on where/how you got the vista build(s) you used, they may not have been prime examples of were it was at the time *see my above post about different builds

Beta testing is not a "this thing better work right", it's a "lets try this and get feedback on how and what it effected" Beta software (of any kind) is not for everyone, especially those who have retail expectations of it

The beta copies we had were direct, and often daily builds... I was supporting the MS internal contract.. so when an MS geek (or way more often, the "support" staff, finance and HR goons) had troubles, they called me. poor bastards. :X stopped working there 9 weeks ago though, so that's why the gap. never bothered to grab a beta key.. figured I'd hang out until release and get myself a few keys then, but alas, it was not to be.

Well, if you want to try RC1, download it (when publicly availible). You'll have 14 day's before it will lock you out.

Vista no longer requires a key to install or use until the activation grace period expires. (it asks for one during install, yes.... but it is not required to continue)

If you have an x1600 based card ("mostly" PCIe based versions), I recommend against installing right now. That along with some nVidia cards are causing troubles

----------------------------------------------------

snip

Industry Testing of Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 Begins

REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 5, 2006

Microsoft to Broaden CPP Program for Windows Vista RC1

Microsoft is broadening the scope of the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program... Current CPP participants are scheduled to have access to the RC1 code beginning this week, and Microsoft will be opening the CPP program to new participants in the following days.

Edited by RedPath88