Replace CV Axle on R50

vengeful

Originally posted by Dean (Xplorx4)

Go pick up your new part at your local auto parts store first. Sometimes they're special-order and take a few days to ship. You don't want to have you truck disassembled and find out nobody has the part in stock.

You'll need to remove the tire, then remove the snap-ring on the outer hub:

05removesnapring.jpg

Then, unbolt the 6 bolts holding the CV axle to the differential:

frontleft_innercvjoint.jpg

Finally, support the hub/knuckle with a floor jack, and unbolt the 2 bolts holding the strut to the knuckle:

jks_before.jpg

Remove the clips/brackets holding the brake line and ABS wire to the strut, so they don't pull off when you lower the hub. Now, lower the entire front hub/brake/knuckle assembly away from the strut and try to wrangle the CV axle out from the REAR of the wheel well. It helps to turn the steering wheel so that the REAR of the wheel well has more space. In other words, if you're working on the driver's side CV, turn the wheel RIGHT.

To provide more clearance to maneuver the CV axle out, you may also need to disconnect the endlinks of the sway bar (on both sides of truck).

Swap out the CV axles, go return the old/bad one to the auto parts store and get your core charge back.

• 4 months later...

so i'm thinking that i should do this soon since one of my boots are ripped. i've seen new cv axles on ebay for $65 USD (including shipping) per side (are they any good?).

i'm trying to follow your walkthrough and pictures but can't quite see where the floorjack is supporting the "hub/knuckle". i've seen other pictures and walkthroughs with people unbolting arms and all this other junk...doesn't seem necessary according to you, which i LIKE!

any other tips and tricks would be helpful, the cheapest quote i got for swapping out the axles was $600, i'd love to just spend $130 and do it myself while learning.

thanks a bunch guys n gals!

Edited by QuismO