Evap purge flow

zonianbrat

Ok I finnally got around to taking my truck to AZ and finding out what code cause my SES light to come on. It turned out to be the P1447 which is evap purge flow. I have no idea what this means. Is it some kinda sensor? Help is appreciated thanks. :shrug:

Ok I thought I was gonna have to type and run but plans fell through so I did a little more research and geez I was kinda dumb on my search I did not even type in the code so I got all kinds of info I did not need then it dawned on me to type in the code and waalaaa.( ;) ) it turns out to be something to do with the evap system itself. I guess I should check some kinda canister for charcoal?? then replace it and blow out the lines>> anybody doen this before so they can tell me what and where to look??

The evap. system collects gas fumes from your tank, runs 'em through a charcoal cannister, and dumps them into your intake. This is for emissions only, but may have a little effect on how your engine runs. First step to check is your gas cap. The charcoal filter is hard to find (well, at least CSK doesn't have it), and caps are pretty cheap. Once fixed, it does take the computer a few minutes to clear the code, or you can just unhook your battery for 10 min or so to clear it.

Sweet thanks for the links. I am not sure what type I have the step cycle or the other one. Can not do much to find out as I am at work. Anyway I think first I am going to take down the canister and check for charcoal leakage, then I might blow out the lines. I am not sure of this procedure but I gotta start somewhere. Gonna have to find some compressed air too :secret: I sure seemed like there were alot of valves and sensors. what a PITA I know this is gonna turn out to be I can alraedy tell it is going to be the last sensor/valve I check or replace.

Just to update: I have not had a chance to check the evap canister or the hoses. But my wife put gas in the truck the other day and yesterday I noticed that the SES light was not on anymore. So as 88path has said it looks like it might have been as simple as the gas cap not being tight enough. I am keeping my fingers crossed for teh next couple of days. I am still going to check out the evap system when I have some free time.

A loose gas cap wouldn't trigger 1447. It would trigger 1440, EVAP System Small Leak, which is what happens when the system cannot maintain proper pressure (as when the gas cap is loose).

Purge Flow is related to the Purge Control Valve (Not to be mistaken with the PCV Valve). Test the Purge Control valve using the procedure outlined in your FSM. Check out the diagnostic procedures in your FSM for the proper diagnosis of that DTC. You know where to get one if you don't have one.