Pulled this chunk out of my rear diff?

WideFive

Hey All,

Any idea what I've got here?

154106.jpg

154107.jpg

'95 Pathfinder 4x4 124Kmiles, suppose to have a LSD. I just changed all the fluids and this chunk was clinging to my rear diff drain plug. I know I shouldn't have any big chunks and this looks bad to me, but just wondering if any of you have come across this before? Just trying to get some input before I start trying to track down a good used diff.

Noramally I wouldn't worry about finding this too much. but I have been getting an occasional thud/clunk from the rear while starting from a stop... and sometimes while making a turn the rear feels like the diff is locked? I'm new to this 4x4 stuff.

Also, the diff took just over 3qts to fill it? All the info I found says it should hold less than 2qts?

Thanks,

Aaron

it doesnt sound good

thats what my lsd was like before i changed it for the air locker

clunking and squaking and feeling as if it was binding

i not to sure how rebuildable lsds' are

go the locker..... :hide:

Sorry the pics stopped working. I moved them to another album, just click below...

Click here for pics

Thanks for the info... All I have to go on right now is a Haynes manual. Still trying to track down the correct year factory manual.

An air locker sounds expencive? Is tracking down a good used diff my best/cheapest option? It's not going to see much off road action, just towing my drag car. I need it to be reliable. I've had this thing less than two weeks and have already had to do a clutch job. Now diff issues? It's getting frustrating.

Thanks!

Aaron

That doesn't look like anything broke, it simply looks like a worn out fragment of clutch disc spacer or something. That's a very small piece. The kind of chunks you don't want to see are little crunched up bits of gear teeth...

Did you add the limited slip fluid when you changed it? That might be another thing to consider.

What kind of fluid should I be using? I just used gear oil that said it was ok for LSDiffs.

On another note the more I drive this thing the more I'm certain there is something wrong. The diff is partialy locking up just driving around in 2H. It'll scrub the tires in a turn sometimes. The rear tires are definetly worn more than the fronts, as well.

Other times the engine is working harder to get up to speed. When it's cold it'll rev right up, but after warming up performance suffers. Fells like something is holding it back. I can also feel some noticable slop in the rear end. I know the u-joint is ok.

All these symptoms are random, not happening all the time. They certainly didn't happen on my test drive...

Thanks,

Aaron