Nissan's homelink system

Guest jcatlin

Guest jcatlin

In the face of all the serious questions here (suspension mods for example) this is gonna seem pretty wimpy, but...

Anyone have some good advice for the homelink garage door opener system? I've done exactly what the manual states and homelink indicates that it has learned the codes from my hand held garage door opener, but homelink has never once moved that garage door.

I know it's a small thing, but it would be a nice perk to get this working :)

-j-

It's not too wimpy, I love my homelink ;) So you did everything the manual says, but it still doesn't work? Thats strange. Kind of a shot in the dark here, but is your garage remote low on batteries? I noticed that when I tried to reprogram mine and the remote was low on batteries, it wouldn't work. Does the little red light on the transmitter flash when you hit a button? Maybe its a short circuit somewhere. Who knows, I'm not too savvy on some of the Nissan electronics :wacko: Maybe the transmitter can't read the garage door opener entirely right. Did the previous owner have it ever work?

Make sure that your garage door opener system is compatible with Homelink... I tried to program a friend's Acura MDX to open her garage door but it didn't so much work... until I got the manual for the garage door opener and it said "This garage door is not compatible with Homelink." Bummer...

Guest jcatlin

Ah ok - another lover of modern convenience! Yep I did everything the manual says and homelink looks like it learned the codes. The light sequence looks just like the manual says I should see. When I push the programmed buttons now I get a solid red light, but nothing from my garage door. The previous owner did have it working fine for them so I know the unit works.

After taking a run at programming it several times I decided that my particular garage door system might just be incompatible for some reason. There's nothing special that I know of about my system. It's not terribly old, nor is it at all fancy. No rolling codes or whatever that's called. Shrug. I'll keep messing with it, but I might just be out of luck :( A last resort will be to call the homelink support line and see what they say. Maybe they have a list of garage door systems that are known problems? Who knows :shrug:

UPDATE: Well I think I lied. It looks like my garage door opener does use rolling codes after all and after some newsgroup searching it would seem that I have the older version of homelink that does not support rolling codes. Sometime in 1997 Nissan started using a newer homelink version that does support rolling codes - I just happen to have the previous version :angry:

I've emailed support at Homelink to see what they suggest, but it sounds like I have 2 options. Either get a newer Pathfinder visor with the updated homelink system or get an adapter that sits in my garage and basically negates the rolling code system of my garage door opener. Hopefully Homelink will have another suggestion, but it's looking doubtful.

Anyone have a 1998 Pathfinder visor with the homelink system they don't need anymore? B)

-j-