ONCE AGAIN AUTO TRANNY PROBLEMS!

ChromoTech

yep once again when i thought i was out of danger.

when i hit the highway and i hit a hill the transmission kind of skips around almost like its trying to engage overdrive but it jumps right back out

and when im flooring it the tranny skips like it jumps from 3000rpm to 3300 to 3600 to 3900 all the way up to about 4800 rpm and then it kind of looses power after that. :shrug: :help: P... ????

You have problems son :takebow: ( I just had to say that) Now on to the real reply.

The tranny on these pathfinders is total run by the computer. Now there always can be something wrong internally with the clutches or the converter or dirt in the passages, but I am coming to find that most of the time the problem is either a sensor or the computer itself.

The first thing to do is reset the computer. This was discribed in a posting awhile back. It entails getting to the computer and disconnecting it. It also requires reseting the main computer as well. Disconnecting the battery alone will not reset the tranny computer.

If that does not work then you could have a sensor going bad. The power switch on the dash is suppose to blink a code to you to indicate where the problem is. If the power switch only blinks once then it thinks everything is ok. The problem here is that this code reading "system" is often defective. The power switch frequently does not work.

As for the sensors. There are lock up sensors, rpm sensors, load sensors, etc. If any one of these is giving a false reading the computer will shift the tranny trying to adjust.

Here is one thing to try that is easy. The next time the problem occurs. Shut the engine down immediately and resart it after counting 10. Does the power switch blink more than once? Does the problem go away for a short while? If the answer to either of these is yes then the problem is electronic not mechanical. -thnkboutit-