4WD

NissanPerson

I just bought a used '92 with a couple problems. Well, maybe more than a couple. It needs brakes, timing belt or chain, whatever it has, (belt I think), plugs, the usual stuff. But, the 4WD is also messed up. I got it for a very cheap price, less than half of book value and it's pretty loaded, and I was expecting to have to put a couple dollars into it. The problem is when you put it in 4WD it makes this nasty groaning, moaning, grinding sound and doesn't engage. Well, I went underneath and a shaft is very loose and dripping fluid. I'm assuming some sort of main input shaft in the front differential thingy...haven't looked in my book to see exactly what they call it. Anyway, since it looked like a long, pain in the butt job, I will probably let a mechanic do it, but was just wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what might be wrong. I am assuming the guy before me beat it up pretty badly, although the engine and tranny are fine.

from your description sounds like the front diff is stuffed

pull the inspection plug and see if the fluid is clean or bad, a broken seal will let contamients in

if the shaft is loose maybe some internal bearings in the diff have broken down

disconect the drive shaft from the diff, raise the front wheels and turn the shaft, that sticks out the end of the diff, over

go from there