Weird Suspension Noise

findmypath

Hi everyone,

About 2 months ago I noticed a weird noise a low speeds coming from the front left suspension. Right around that time I also noticed that at highway speeds there was some steering wheel wobble. Not thinking twice about it I took it to the mechanic and he found that some of the front tires were out of balance. He rebalanced them and I thought that was it. However, I still hear the noise and the wobble is still there. To describe the noise - it sounds like a hollow sound ... not very loud. It sounds like something is loose...like something isn't tight. But I know that is not the case since the mechanic didn't see anything loose. So.....to make a long story short...have any of you come across anything like this? Is it the shocks? Any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

But I know that is not the case since the mechanic didn't see anything loose.

Not to be too sarcastic but most mechanics get in and out as fast as possible. They don't check everything as closely as maybe they should.

I once had a wheel wooble from bad tie rod ends. You can check this by watching the tie rod ends while someone else turns your steering wheel back and forth.

Also, I've had the hold down bolts for the upper control arm become loose and make odd sounds. I'm not sure how the 2004s are set up, but if you feel a wooble there is definitely something not right.

Edited by andreus009

Has that tire sat flat in the rain recently?

My truck was sitting on some deflated tires for the past few months, when I finally got back to working on it and went for a few test drives I couldn't figure out my wobble issue, everything was tight...hoohaa cl, new TRE's, lower and upper ball joints were solid, new bushings on both my compression rods, no slack anywhere. At slow speeds I could hear a strange sound, but couldn't figure it out. Took my tires to a tire shop, found a half gallon or so of water in one of my tires and a few cups in the other. Cleaned 'em out, drives like a wet dream.

Edited by SamTex

Front end have greese fittings anywhere? (sorry I don't know the newer ones too well) If so try giving the front end a good lube to see if it quiets down a dry tie rod end or ball joint...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...