Speed Sensor 96 Pathfinder

I don't know why I didn't ask this along time ago, I guess I got distracted from all these "Lifted" Pathys....

Anyway, My check engine light came on about a year and a half ago right after my Speedometer stopped working....I had my local Autozone check the code for the engine light, and it came up as a bad "Speed Sensor" Of course its a Dealer Part Only....I had a local shop replace the speed sensor but that did not fix the problem....speedometer still does not work. All the gauges work fine. But the Cruise Control does not work either. Do I have a Bad Speedometer Gauge? Its the NON-Digital type. Unfortunately, this has affected my Odometer reading as well, stuck on 98,000 miles. Any Ideas?

Sometimes the gear inside the speed sensor strips out which renders it useless. I wonder if the shop even did the service and really replaced the switch...it's notoriously hard to get to and remove. They also could have left the wiring unplugged...

Sometimes the gear inside the speed sensor strips out which renders it useless. I wonder if the shop even did the service and really replaced the switch...it's notoriously hard to get to and remove. They also could have left the wiring unplugged...

Thanks for the info, yeah, the thought crossed my mind, especially since he broke the old one coming out, i wonder if he did the same putting in? I think I might have to go the dealer route this time....so much for trying to save a buck! So would it be your best guess that the speed sensor would have broke before the gauge? I assume that the cruise control not working coincides with the same problem (Speed Sensor)?

Cruise control and speed sensor = a good team!

Hmm. my freind had a problem like this. He took it to a shop and they putin a sensor from a different model! How stupid people can be!