Any Reason I Shouldn't Drill Through Holes?

PDCCD

Ok,

So my RR super sliders arrived. Nicely wrapped and quickly delivered. Although none of the hardware made it. So while looking at the mounting instructions i see how they want me to drill holes in the pinch seam, which i expected. But they also want me to use 3/8" Self threading bolts to drill into my frame rails (or subframe rails) to secure part of the . Now this dosn't seem very sturdy to me, so i'm thinking i'll drill all the way through both sides of the rail and put in a grade 8 hex bolt. Anybody know why i wouldn't want to do it this way? Will i weaken the frame or something? I wonder why RR didn't suggest doing the same. Well, i call on the experts here before i drill, what do you guys think?

thanks.

Edited by PDCCD

Well... I've been working on these for about an hour now. My preliminary investigation leads me to believe that not all R50's are the same. The change that occurred between the 99.5's and beyond may be cosmetic, but that seems to make a difference in fitting. The reason i'm guessing that RR hasn't made them for beyond 99' is this. The pinch seam, that these RR rely so heavily on is smaller. Smaller meaning not as tall. In addition, the seam might be as much as 5/16 or more further from the sub frame section, because mine has a good sized gap between the leg that should bolt to the frame, and the frame.

Yes, before the question arises, these are for a pathfinder, they bend where they should bend, and have legs where legs would be. The dimensions are just slightly off. I'll continue to attempt some sort of fit-up when the rain subsides and see what i'll have to do to get them to work, although i doubt their structural integrity with so little meat on the pinch seem where it needs to be...

Edited by PDCCD

Well, It ain't gonna work. The two connecting arms to the sub frame are 1/2" too short. I guess if i have to i can make shims for that. It appears also that the flares out from front to back, so it's not even as it travels across the rocker. Sticks out more in back than front in other words. All in all shoddy welding has warped the mounting plates, and i believe that the pinch seam is shorter and probably about 1/2" further from the frame than a 99.5'. I've emailed RR and will keep anyone interested posted.

Edited by PDCCD

:worthless:

I wish i could. The digital camera is in WA with the wife for the week.

Sorry. I've tried everything. The bar that attaches to the pinch seam is crooked, causing all the problems. Now RR claims it's a model year issue, but i think it's a jig issue. If i hold the sliders to the frame without attaching the pinch seam bar, everything fits perfect. If i attach it to the pinch seem, the slider runs out in the rear and the frame attachment bars don't reach. The only real possible argument to my theory is that the pinch seam dosn't have alot of meat with the holes drilled. SO it might be possible that the seam is shorter, and located differently from model to model :shrug: