Brake Problem

Banshee162

I have a 97 pathy and had to change my caliper the other day due to it sticking.Installed new caliper and proceeded to bleed the brake sys.started at the LSV and then proceeded to the rear tire etc..i have bled brakes before. here is the problem after bleeding the system many times and assuring the fluid level never dropped low, the brake pedal goes to the floor. If i pump the pedal the brakes hold. If i let it sit for a min it then goes to the floor again. Anyone who can think of what it might be please let me know. Any help in this would be appreciated as the holiday is fast approaching and i need my pathy... I used 2 pints of brake fluid bleeding the brakes..To make sure there was no air in it.

Thanks in Advance

Sean

Edited by Banshee162

yeek... would sound like a master cylinder to me, if there is no air in the lines...

I'm reading wayyy too many posts about R50's with possible bad MC's these days *cringe*

Oh, and Welcome to NPORA! What took you so long!? B)

welcome.

you could still have a hole in the lines or something.. leaking anywhere? the other thing is that your brake fluid should sit for 24h hours before being used. (as in unshaken) ABS? there still could be an issue there.

the MC may be going if nothing else is wrong but if it was aok before the caliper work then i doubt it.

Make sure you are bleeding the brakes correctly and in the right order. Start at the RR then LR, RF and LF. Going through that much fluid by the old pump and hold method, I would check for leaks also.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Start at the LR then RR, LF and RF.

Just to make it clear, start at the farthest bleed point from the MC, then work your way to the bleed point closest to the MC.

If it is still bad, (and you have no leaks)I would guess you have an air pocket in the caliper you replaced. Try unbolting it, wedging something between the pads and bleeding it up side down or in a different position. You get the idea. Last think to look for is to see if the piston seal in the new caliper is leaking.

B

Just to make it clear, start at the farthest bleed point from the MC, then work your way to the bleed point closest to the MC.

Sorry, when I posted that at first, I thought faster than I could type :P . The proper order has been fixed.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

yes i bled the brakes in the right order..i have bled brakes as least 50 times in my life..I took the truck for a ride tonight to see if there was any improvement.still same prob. havent drove the truck since last weekend since I am a service tech and have a company vehicle.I guess it is time to get a new MC.I saw a post about slide the slide pins..those wouldnt have anything to do with this problem would it.i am also wondering if that maybe the MC has been bad for awhile and i didnt notice it since the calipers were sticking..

Pezzy i have just been so busy with work that i havent had time to really be on any forums.I cant even remember the last time i went out wheelin it's been so long.

Edited by Banshee162

naah, sticky caliper wouldn't effect the MC. it's a pretty easy job man. you can get it done by lunch.

i don't know if the order of bleeding really matters. some service techs tell me they do it the exactly opposite. start with the closest and work towards the furthest. hmm

Recieved the new MC today.pulled the old out put the resevoir on the new one and bench bled it.installed it in the truck and bled it again before hooking up the lines.Hooked up the lines an rebled the whole system-RR-LR-RF-LF. And now for the kicker...the problem still exists, the pedal goes to the floor..I guess it is time to take the PITA to the shop which is what i was trying to avoid. :furious: :furious: :furious: