Rebuilding brake master cylinder

mws

I am about to rebuild the M/C on my '87 disc front, drum rear.

Any advice/warnings/heads ups you can offer?

I have rebuilt a few over the years, and the clutch m/c was very straightforward and easy. I expect the brake m/c to be the same - just with a few more parts due to the dual circuits.

Yes, do it right... :P Sorry, I have no idea but I assume it is straight forward.

Hey Martin, take a few picts and do a bit of a write up... It may help save some people $ and encourage them to do it themselves.

You rebuilt the clutch MC ?? Why ? As far as I can tell, they are identical to the one on my 84 D720 and that cost about $25 1 year ago for a replacement. Seems like the kit and time isn't worth it to me... :shrug:

B

Why rebuild the clutch MC myself? Cause the bore in my cylinder was nearly perfect - it was just a worn seal. Never sure what you get with a "rebuild" from the parts store. In my case, I know exactly what I got - a non-hogged out bore with a top shelf Beck Arnley rebuild kit in it. :D

And I trust my work over that performed by untrained 14 year old homeless children working 16 hour days in sweatshops... I actually saw an "alternator rebuilding" operation in Juarez once... They brought in alternators by the hundreds, disassembled them, tested the components, threw any blown parts into the trash bin (which was dumped into the ditch out back :angry: ) and the rest into a big box. The cases were dunked into a vat of scary looking acid to make them look new and then guts were randomly pulled back out of the same big box and slapped back together. Same old bearings, brushes, etc. Some were clearly worn and near failure... But if it went together, it was boxed up and shipped as "another quality remanufactured part".

This may have been an extreme example... or was it? Who knows?

Since then, I have never bought a "rebuild" unless I could verify it was done by a credible source, or until I could thoroughly inspect it.

Wishing a part to be well made rarely makes it happen... :nono:

I'll try to take pics! I finally got a digital camera. But I'm keeping my old analog SLR!

Ahh, well, good points all around... I remember canceling a sale on a reman starter years ago. It was 'rebuilt' with about the same process as you described. It was clean, but thats about it. Just looking at in the box at the parts counter, I told the guy "I don't want that crap" and walked... :angry:

B

DONE!

Turned out to be a complete cakewalk. One of the easiest, most straightforward ever!

Took about 30 minutes. Most time spent removing and installing. The actual parts replacement took about 2 minutes... And then 5 minutes bench bleeding it.

My wife had the digital camera so no photos, but it was simple enough I can still do a verbal write up.

And I was thrilled to find the bore in brake M/C was PERFECT - just like the clutch! No pits, no corrosion, no scratches, nothing. The previous owner must have changed fluid at least semiregularly. And the caps clearly seal very well. :clap:

Edited by mws

Beck Arnley kit from Rock Auto. I think it was $30 something dollars....

I have been pleased with the quality of the Beck Arnley parts I've used. I ran into lots of problems buying rebuild kits locally - they will only sell rebuilt assemblies. Fear of liability from clueless jerks rebuilding the cylinder improperly is the cited reason.