Dallas Texas

Pickles

I am the original owner of a 2001 SE 5 speed. 145,000 miles. I drove it every day for 12 years and now its on active reserve. It's the only vehicle that I have ever bought new and kept more than 2 years.

The exterior has a few dings, the paint is almost gone, the seats have a few tears, the clock doesnt work, and the radio buttons look like they are going to come off any day. the rear interior light comes on whenever I take a turn to fast. But I cahnged the oil every 4,000 miles and it has no major driving issues.

I would like to bring it back to life or at least give it a second life with some dignity.

I'd like to fix the dents and replace the bumpers. I want to give it a line-x coating. Mechanically it probably needs new plugs and wires, new shocks, brakes, and exhaust. I'll be honest, at 145,000 miles I don't know what else I should plan on replacing. If there are any cheap and effective ways to give it 20 more horsepower I would do that. I always thought that figuring out a way to remove about 400 pounds from it would increase its performance and handling and fuel economy.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Like 1

give the old girl a make over. all that regular required maintenance will go a long way to bring back that 20hp. maybe some new wheel bearings while your at it.

all that and regular oil changes should get you another 145k miles.

For 400lbs. I started on mine with running board/step things, roof racks(just put them on when I need them), spare and jack (78 lbs. alone) all AC stuff (I live in Canada) rear seat bottoms and rear head rests, plus some little odds and ends. Getting the AC parts off(condenser, compressor, brackets, dryer, lines, belt etc) gets alot of pounds off and saves some gas. In Texas you might use AC but here it's unneeded and might rob a HP or two.

Thanks. Where do I go here on the website to look for resources for getting this kind of work done? I know some of the work I need could be done at my local garage but if there are vendors that specialize in nissan repair and restoration near Dallas i would use them.

One of the obstacles I have found when I have discussed getting body work done on this vehicle is that the vendor looks at the vehicle and assumes that the cost (maybe a couple of $1,000) isn't justified by the value of the vehicle (KBB = ~$2,000). When I have told them I plan to do the repairs mentioned above and maybe some bodywork, they look at me through squinted eyes and back slowly away.

It would be nice to find a local vendor that understands the value of rehabbing the vehicle.

sounds like you need to find a small owner/operator type shop. someone you can get to know and trust to do the work right. ask around to friends and family, co-workers and the like. word of mouth is always the best advertising. somebody's cousin or son in law will usually be "the guy" to go to.

best of luck.