Throttle body question

calibeater

So I am helping a friend but do not know an answer to this, has a 88 pathy and needs a throttle body. found one for him but its listed as for a manual trans and he has an auto, other than it not having the ports for his cruise control, would it work and he just not use his cruise?

The only difference is the TPS sensor. The automatics have a potentiometer built in with a secondary plug for the TCU whereas the manuals only use a 3-way switch, which is mainly just an idle switch. A lot of times though, a manual will have the same TPS as an automatic withbthe secondary plug not used. If the new throttle body doesn't have the secondary plug you'll need to swap them.

I will go with Kingman on this, he is the expert on the VG30i

The chambers both MT and AT versions are seperate part numbers from 87 to 88,specifically the injectors and fuel pressure regulator are different, but I see no reason that they are not cross compatable/functional if the chamber and venturi are all replaced at once. And as Kingman said, move one doesnt have to the other.

That's very interesting Rob about the '87-'88 difference, especially about the injectors... with the Z31s, in '88 Nissan switched to high impedance injectors and a highly revised ECU. '84-'87s were all low impedance injectors. That makes me wonder if they didn't do the same with the Pathfinders. If that were true and he swapped an '87 TBI into the '88 without installing proper wire wound dropping resistors, he'd fry the injector drivers in no time and would need a new ECU. Unfortunately the wiring diagrams show that an '87 ECU to match the TBI can't simply be plugged in to an '88 especially an automatic.

Hmmm...

What year TBI is the one you're looking at listed for? If its '88-'89 I wouldn't worry, if '87 I would ohm the injectors and compare.

Edited by Kingman

INTERESTING Kingman, I didnt know that!!!! thanks for sharing! :beer:

VG30i injectors

part number: 16021-12G00 07/86-08/87

part number: 16201-17C00 08/87-08/89

last five of the part numbers are completely different, not even close.

The ECUs have the same production date splits......

Now, look at the Z24i injectors in the pathfinder:

part number: 16021-17C00 07/86-08/88

part number: 16021-78G00 08/88-08/89

That's bizarre. I'd really like to see an ohm test... I'd be able to do it except the '88 TBI and an '87 Pathfinder are back home and I'm in Texas.

I'll still say though, if the impedance is the same for both styles there should be no issue swapping entire TBIs.

Edited by Kingman