My New Doug Thorley Headers (Clamp Size)

William

1)The only reason why Magnaflow sells bolt-on 2" flange cats is for the factory exhaust system.

2)You can get a CARB compliant universal cat in your size and weld on whatever flange size you need or just slip it over the pipe and weld it.

3)That will pass inspection.

4)If they were so anal about having a factory exhaust then they would not even let the headers through.

5)The only reason the Thorleys have certification is that they have a EGR bung and they do not remove any catalytic converters out of the exhaust system since WD21s never came with manifold cats.

6)I still have a hard time believing this CA compliance stuff.

7)AFAIK the CARB certification is a must for a catalytic converter to be sold in CA but that's about it.

8)There is still a possibility that I could be missing something.

9)However I got the same numbers out of the machine running a 2.5" catalytic converter and a 2" catalytic converter.

1)Really? From what source do you get this intel?

2)Of course.

3)Unlikely.

4)No one ever said factory exhaust is required.

5)Wrong, that is 1/2 the reason. The other 1/2 is that they paid for CARB certification testing, and passed.

6)Well, we have a hard time beliving you as well.

7)That shows the depth of your knowledge.

8)More like a certanty.

9) Good, but it doesn't matter.

What happened Tungsten? You were doing so well, and now you are back to talking like an idiot about things you have have no experience with or information on. You are not discussing, you are making incorrect statements which is confusing the issue and misleading to people looking for accurate information. Stop it now or I will remove your ability to post and bring your account and history before the staff for review.

Do not argue, just quit it.

B

• Like 1

And because Thorley paid the CARB board an absurd amount of money. I could make a set of headers with an EGR bung, they won't be smog legal.

True. Approvals are expensive. If you made a set like the Thorleys AND paid CARB a few thousand, they would be smog legal. I'm pretty sure they have their own rules on how they grant approvals. You can pay a bunch of money and have your approval denied too. Not disagreeing here just adding some info.

1)Really? From what source do you get this intel?

2)Of course.

3)Unlikely.

4)No one ever said factory exhaust is required.

5)Wrong, that is 1/2 the reason. The other 1/2 is that they paid for CARB certification testing, and passed.

6)Well, we have a hard time beliving you as well.

7)That shows the depth of your knowledge.

8)More like a certanty.

9) Good, but it doesn't matter.

What happened Tungsten? You were doing so well, and now you are back to talking like an idiot about things you have have no experience with or information on. You are not discussing, you are making incorrect statements which is confusing the issue and misleading to people looking for accurate information. Stop it now or I will remove your ability to post and bring your account and history before the staff for review.

Do not argue, just quit it.

B

No I see how that works now, MY1PATH already explained it in the other thread. I still think it makes no sense but I'm not going to argue with state law makers that think a gun made from lego bricks is an assault weapon. You can only buy the size that came originally equipped. So your only choices are 2" direct or 2" universal. The direct fit is made to fit directly into the OEM system. That's what it says on their website.

I would go ahead and delete stuff now but the edit button doesn't work anymore. It's like one of those moments where everything makes sense but then there is one last piece that changes everything and makes me look like an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, he can add at a cost EGR to anyone that requests but he is not paying 10k per product for the cert because he will never make and sell enough to CA customers to earn that 10k back.
Right now he only has enough parts to make 2 more sets and then he is probably done with pathy headers. Contact him via his website if you are serious about buying.

I'll measure/confirm tomorrow.

B

BTW my thorleys are almost here, I guess I'll get actual measurements my self...

Edited by MY1PATH

I apologize, I forgot about that after the thread took a turn for the Tungsten.

Yes, the pipe is 2.01" diameter at the down and cross over tubes. The Walker clamp I used (which works well) is #33230 and is listed as 2". I put some Permatex Copper on the clamping surfaces just to make sure and no leaks or problems so far.

B