XJ Cherokee roof rack on my 95 XE?

tdauria

On my wife's old 4runner I actually used the threaded factory spare tire hold down kit from a crown victoria, but it doesnt work 100% the way I like on the blazer wheel since the final death of the Toyota and this truck replaced it so the main tie down is currently a pair of ratchet straps. I check them regularly and haven't had an issue yet with them, though it's only been like that for 1-2 months I think (until I make a more solid mount)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive only had one so far, but that was probably due to insufficient silicone on the threads of the screw. I unscrewed the bolt/screw in question, applied some 'windo-weld' (i think it was called that or something similar, a type of black windshield sealant i had on hand) screwed it back in and back to leak free.

One thing to note is that the xj rails are meant to be mounted on a level surface, but the spot I chose was angled out a bit, so the crossbars don't sit quite perfectly. I'll grab some pics and follow up with an explanation, without them I'm pretty sure ill be about as clear as mud lol