ignition

tyrhine

so I have a 95 xe and my ignition is mess'd up. does anyone know how to install a new one? I'm getting a new one soon but I'm not to sure how to install it if anyone could help it that would be awesome

pull the steering column...drill a hole in each of the shear studs that hold it on...use an easy out to get htose out and then it will pull off of the steering column and you can install the new one with new shear fasteners or bolts (but with regular bolts it makes it easier to steal the car if they get to taking the column off but don't think that would be a big issue)

so I don't know if I need a new one, I just have to sit there and wiggle the key for like a couple of mins then it starts its so weird. but I think I'll get a new ignition anyway, unless someone knows what that problem is? that would be a big help. :crossedwires:

so I don't know if I need a new one, I just have to sit there and wiggle the key for like a couple of mins then it starts its so weird. but I think I'll get a new ignition anyway, unless someone knows what that problem is? that would be a big help. :crossedwires:

Tyrhine-

If you don't need the entire lock cylinder, just get the switch. It was only the switch that was bad and I didn't want to drill out the lock and have 2 set of keys. The switch is only one tiny screw and disconnect the wiring harness. But for some odd reason, my switch from napa was 'oriented' the wrong way. see pix in earlier thread. let me know how it works out.

btw, the chilton's says to pull the steering column, I just removed the screws on the plastic covers. Just be careful, I broke some plastic tabs and it fits loose now.

ok so I got a new ignition, but right before I installed it I found that there is a little cap where the wires are connected to the ignition. it felt loose. so I pushed the cap in and blam... started. haha so I installed the new ignition anyway because the wires on my old one has been cut and re atteched like 5 times. soo yea the little cap that connected the wires to the ignition was lose. haha atleast its starting now :P