Drive Train Oil Advice Requested

Stan

I have a high mileage 2001 4X4 Pathfinder that I bought recently and have zero service history. The rear diff is whining a little so am thinking as a precaution to change all the oil in the drive train.

What suggestions do any of you have as to brand and viscosity of oil for the front and read diffs and the transfer case on a high mileage vehicle? The rear diff is labelled to use LSD oil only. (Was a LSD diff an option for the 2001?) Is there an additive or a higher viscosity oil I should use to get rid of some of the rear diff whine? Anything I should look for or do during the oil change?

The tranni oil looks clean and has no smell, so should I leave that alone or do something about that as well?

Should I change the brake fluid? The pads, drums and discs are almost new, but I can still push the pedal down to the floor if I push really hard. However, it stops well and in a straight line with no pedal pulsing.

I'm still loving the Redline products!

They are LSD comptatible. I think you need 75W90, but check the owners manual.

I would try recommended weight first before going heavier. 90+% the better oil will eliminate the whine all by itself.

I'm still loving the Redline products!

They are LSD comptatible. I think you need 75W90, but check the owners manual.

I would try recommended weight first before going heavier. 90+% the better oil will eliminate the whine all by itself.

Thanks for the answer. I would put in Redline in a heartbeat - if I could get it. Have used their products in the past with great success, but can't get any Redline products where I am located. Now I am stuck with what I can get at Walmart or similar. Any suggestions?

You can always order Redline lubes from Summit Racing or several other online vendors. Just a thought.

Gone down that road too and it is a VERY expensive road. Base price of the oil + international shipping + about 30% duty = mega expensive.

Can't I just use any API GL-5 oil in both diffs? Anybody have any idea of how much oil each diff holds? For some reason the owners manual just shows dashes for the oil capacity.

Gone down that road too and it is a VERY expensive road. Base price of the oil + international shipping + about 30% duty = mega expensive.

Can't I just use any API GL-5 oil in both diffs? Anybody have any idea of how much oil each diff holds? For some reason the owners manual just shows dashes for the oil capacity.

If you are located in Canada, I can get you Redline at a reasonable price.