Gun Control In The Usa

Vsicks Pathy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone anywhere guys, just on vacation. I think I will probably retire from posting in this thread though. It's just silly to enter into a debate where people either don't understand how to form an argument using facts or deliberately ignore facts in order to push an agenda. It's also tiring dealing with the emotion in many of these posts. Not conceding defeat at all, just deciding that my pearls of wisdom are probably better off cast elsewhere. I believe that a person with a good knowledge of logic and statistics will understand my main points and will see through the arguments of the opposite side. Unfortunately it's often easy to mislead those not familiar with statistical fallacy and errors in logic.

You have certainly left me scratching my head in wonderment this time Hoo Haa. You seem to be talking about yourself in the third person. Are you OK? :crazy:

I think it best that you do retire from this topic too, it is probably the right thing for you to do. You did state that gun control works after all, didn't you. That's how I read it anyway. I will post up what you said so as to refresh your memory too......

2. The countries listed have RADICALLY different levels of handgun ownership, again making the statistics misleading. You are comparing countries which are completely saturated with handguns with countries, like England, with very very low handgun ownership.

3. The assumption seems to be that since America's death stats are so much higher than everyone else's (see point #1) that gun control in the USA must be too lax. This is also misleading because the countries listed have varying levels of strictness of gun control.

.......Perhaps you could explain what you are saying here if I am reading it wrong. :aok:

I trust you got my PM, it is good to have you back anyway.

Good job on trying to start an internet brawl Vsicks Pathy.
Seems only a 'Richard Cranium' can not tell how an "internet brawl" is started. The debate proved in favour of gun control. Even the most pigheaded pro NRA member on this board admitted as much, hence this thread was over long ago. His silence on elaborating on what he said was in itself enough said. Unfortunately idiots, like you, are always just around the corner aren't they. Even if your diatribe has nothing at all to do with anything the topic suggests, you can't help but post up a childish little rant just so you can lay claim as to trying to have a go at me. :clap:

I thought the Nissan crowd would be a bit more educated.

I would lay money down that they are far more intelligent than you could ever aspire to be. To attack everyone on this board as you just did speaks volumes about your character and low intellect.

Apparently you just like stirring up @!*% and acting intelligent. Get a life....

Mmmmm, better not look at your post then???? Wow, I only act intelligent.... at least you said I can act, unlike you. And, our first and more than likely only point of being able to agree with something... Get a life!

By the way, your name.. Benfreeride... free ride like as in a parasite, yes.

Benparasite, you're new here and bore me already... YAWN!

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Study: 9 Guns for Every 10 Americans

Email this Story

Aug 28, 4:07 PM (ET)

By FRANK JORDANS

GENEVA (AP) - There are nine guns for every 10 people in the United States, with about 270 million firearms in circulation, according to a report released Tuesday.

Worldwide, civilians now have access to 650 million small arms - from handguns to semiautomatic rifles - an arsenal that far outstrips what is held by police and militaries, according to the annual Small Arms Survey. It estimates that civilians account for about three-fourths of the 875 million such weapons in circulation.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," the director of the Geneva-based group, Keith Krause, told reporters.

But it is the United States that has the heaviest concentration of firearms.

Of the 8 million new firearms manufactured annually around the world, roughly 4.5 million are bought in the United States.

Other countries with high per capita ownership include Yemen, with 61 small arms per 100 people; Finland with 56; Switzerland with 46 and Iraq with 39.

Much lower on the scale are Brazil, with nine guns per 100 people, England and Wales with six, India with four, China with three and Nigeria with one.

The report notes that only about 12 percent of all weapons worldwide are registered with authorities, making it difficult to collect exact data on gun possession. Five years ago the group estimated a total of 640 million small arms worldwide.

"There's a large number of states in the middle, mostly northern industrial states in Western Europe and North America," said Krause, citing France, with 32 per 100 people; Canada and Sweden, with 31 each and Germany, with 30.

The figures dispel the idea that gun ownership and high levels of violence necessarily go hand in hand, he said.

"There's no clear relationship between more guns and higher levels of violence," Krause said, pointing to low ownership and high crime rates in Latin America.

He said studies had shown that gun violence often occurred in places undergoing rapid urban growth, and when lawless areas are created by extreme poverty and the absence of effective policing.

The problem is worsened when members of government or police forces sell ammunition on the black market, Krause said.

In Rio de Janeiro, "a combination of factors suggest that state security forces - most notably the police - are the source of much of the assault rifle ammunition in the hands of criminal gangs," the report said.

Thousands of arms supplied to Iraq by the United States are believed to have been acquired by insurgents through rogue elements in the Iraqi security forces.

Sudan, meanwhile, has purchased more than 25 million firearms in recent years - mostly from China and Iran - despite well-documented human rights violations committed by government-backed militias.

Krause said wealthy countries with lower crime rates, such as those in the 27-nation European Union, are dealing with an increased flow of small arms across borders where controls have been loosened.

Recent shootings in Britain - where ownership is severely restricted and the gun crime rate is low - highlight the need for greater police cooperation in Europe, he said.

---

On the Web:

Small Arms Survey: http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/