Reindexing torsion bars

872door

I need a little schooling on this subject. Am I to assume that on a stock suspension that I can reindex my torsion bars and get a little extra lift in the front end but retain about the same amount of spring tension. in other words the front end suspension want feel stiff compared to factory settings. also if i am correct in my thinking can this be done on other vehicles with torsion bars? I want to level my Pathy with out stiffening the front end and adding undue torque to an already aging suspension. Thanks

As long as you don't change the springs you won't change the "feel" of the springs. They'll be the same springs holding the same amount of weight, just a little higher.

Reindexing the T-bars is a cake walk on our trucks. Our t-bars have lots of splines for one thing.(great for reindexing) Besides the fact that you can do the whole lift in under 30mins. :D

Hey thanks man. I did search before I asked and did not find the answers to my questions. I appriciate your help! what would you suggest as to my shocks. If I reindex to increse ride height say 1 inch should I buy shocks 1 inch longer to mantain original ride. Thanks again.

Nah, you don't need longer shocks if you lift the front. You haven't increased travel, just the ride height.

I don't remember what the total range of the front suspension is, but lets use 14".

At stock ride height, you're front wheels can compress 7" up and drop 7" down. Once you crank the t-bars and adjust the ride height up 3", you're suspension will now compress up 10", but only be able to drop 4" before the a-arm hits the bump stop. So you're range of motion (travel) is still the same, you've only changed its starting point (or ride height) and longer shocks aren't needed.

You can benefit from longer shocks in the rear (up to 2" IIRC) as long as you plan on disconnecting the sway bar when off roading. It will allow for more travel (take a look at some of 88pathoffroad's pics).

Edited by jj big shoe