Project CLE has begun!

cdhicks99

First off I had an awesome time at WITC I only had minimal damage. Unfortunatly my trail buddies had no such luck. Here's my only damage.

100_1483.jpg

100_1485.jpg

I will post more pics later, when I have time to resize them all.

Anyway the highlight of the weekend was while riding the wifey caught the bug and told me I needed more truck! So we went shopping today.

Here is my bargain trailer, $300 for a complete 720 frame with divorced transfer case and if you look closely at the rear you will see the Dana 44.

100_1486.jpg

I know, right now your wondering why this is in the garage section. I will be giving details and pics daily of the build.

Wifey says my limitation is that it has to remain road-worthy and cannot look like a chopped up hybrid. :cool2:

STAY TUNED!

Edited by cdhicks99

I plan on completing a rolling chassis before switching anything over.

I am going to start by grinding off all unnecessary frame crap, along with the stock body mounts. I am going to fabricate more solid body mounts 3" higher than factory.

This weeks goal is to get frame stripped and if all goes well get it primed.

Today went very slow. It was hot and humid til the rain hit which was welcomed.

I had to put my old wheels and tires on it to roll it off, which was quite a chore in itself since both my hydo jacks are broke. I had to jack the rear axle very high to get the D44 out from under it. The Dana is out and on the ground as is the frame.

Problems thus far.

The shifter splines into the tranfer case are busted, so I will have to weld something up.

In my excitement yesterday I failed to think that this 720 frame will need alot of new mounts made. This could be a good thing, I am going to grind everything off this frame and fab all new mounts and crossmembers that better suit my needs.

I am now researching to find out what the 44 came out of so I can start on it.

998 out of a 1000 people would question your sanity for paying that much for that "pile of junk".

The rest of us see the potential as clearly as you do! I wish you well and look forward to seeing the progress AND the final product!

Damn! Been awhile since I updated. I haven't seen my frame since dropping it off at my buddies house, so absolutely nothing has been done. The wife and I are the process of buying a new house so we've been kinda busy with that and I am trying to sell some parts to finance some of this project.

I have managed to start designing the four links. I am going with true triagulated four links on both axles. They will be 1 1/2"OD .25"wall DOM with 7/8" heims. Supplies to make the links should be around $1100. To start I will have to go with a standard coil setup until I can afford coil-overs.

I am going to be running a Ford 9" rear and of course the D44 in front. I have decided 5.13 gears will be plenty with dual tranfer cases. I can't figure my crawl ratio yet until I find what the factory low-range is in both cases. I am shifting the front axle forward 2-4" which will serve two purposes. First clearance, because I want to keep a low center of gravity and run 36" tires, the firewall creates a big problem, so by moving it forward I can get my clearance in trimming the fender. Plus the approach angle will be excellent.

Sorry for such long posts and no pics, but I want to record my thought process and explain as much in detail as I can, so other (and me) can look back and find help and flaws in my build. Feel free to chime in will your comments.

Stay Tuned,

Cory

Edited by cdhicks99

Why are you going to replace the H233 and run Dana 44 up front? In stock form the H233 is stronger than the 44 and just about equal with the ford 9. You can chromos and CTM's on the 44 but 36" tire is as high as id go with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! We are still packing and moving but I found some time to get over and strip the frame this weekend.

The IFS is dropped as well as all the factory body mounts, I still have alot of smoothing to do with the grinder but should be stripped and primed before the next weekend ends.

I also have the 44 stripped to the shell and waiting to be cleaned and primed.

Now with the delays and lack of funds, I will be lucky to have this done by Thanksgiving, maybe by Christmas...........