98 Pathy Rear Axle Seal Leak

r0x

Hello to all!

Question about my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder 4x2 LE (automatic transmission).

My local service shop advised me of a rear axle seal leak. I asked them to look at the breaks and they found this problem after removing the drums. They said that the leak is very small at this point ("fluid not gushing out"). Repair cost was quoted at about $300.

I've already had this problem before at ~50,000 miles and at the time Nissan repaired it for me under warranty. Now I'm at 145,000 miles... :-0

Question: how urgent is this repair? What are the potential consequences and cost of waiting for a few months to save my pennies?

Thanks in advance for replies.

--r0x :beer:

depends if it is bad enough to get on the brake's i would do it asap , :( cause it will stuff your brake lineings. :wacko: Once they get oil on them and a bit of dust as well they become sticky and when you put your foot on the brake that wheel will lock up . :furious: The only way i have seen the oil removed is to wash the bulk of and then pouring metholated spritet ( spelling ) on them and setting fire to them to burn the oil out ,can be very dangerous though :secret:

not sure bout setting fire to brake shoes..... :blink:

but once they have oil on em, you can toss them in the bin and buy new ones.

so penny pinching now may come back to bite later........

$300 to change an oil seal????

can you turn a spanner?

for the cost of a seal you could do it yourself - undo the metal brake line, undo handbrake cable, undo 4 bolts that hold the hub and bam the axle stub/hub pops out. the seal just sits in the axle housing.