help: stock roof rack railings removal

Cuong Nguyen

You have threaded inserts in the roof. I bet they are spinning... You may have to pull the hedliner ??

First, try leveraging up so the screw (hence insert) has a load on it and try backing out the screw then. Sometimes you can bind the insert enough to keep it from spinning.

B

stripped the heads of the screws. Yep, those POS inserts are spinning. I'm going to have to dremel/cut the the inserts in order to remove the inserts and rails. I don't think I can get to the rearmost insert. I might have to rip it through the top...

Ended up ripping the remost insert out through the top. Dremeled down the insert to where I could pop it through with the hammer. Going to sand down what I can and cover up the rust since a storm is moving in. I'll have to wait until dry weather to work on it again.

I've never done body work before so I'm wondering as to how to repair my rust problem. One of the areas is rusted bad. The rust almost ate through the sheetmetal.

This this how you do it?:

sand/grind the rust until you have is just bare shiny metal

make sure you don't touch it the metal after doing so

seal it

add bondo/putty/filler

let it cure

sand it smooth

paint

and wax the poop out of it

post-1-1151710704.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Grind down all rust to bare metal and surrounding areas( good to have an inch or 2 away from the rust for it usually has alreasy started spreading). Be sure to grind it down with a steel brush found at any local hardware store. Its just an attachement for a grinder

-Clean the surface of all grease/dust

-Buy a primer (personally I use http://www.zrcworldwide.com/)

Id give it 2 coats of primer. ZRC might be expensive but it is the only primer that chemicaly bonds with metal... it is used to paint bridges etc.... and on my dads old car it kept rust away for 15 years... then he scrapped the car (with still no rust and we live in Quebec with bad winters and lots of road salt and humidity in the summer)

-If its not completely smooth then you can use sandpaper dunked in water and sand it down and it will come completely smooth

-Buy the paint for your truck using the paint code under your hood

-Apply 2-3 layers

-Buy a clear and apply 2-3 layers of that

-Then buff it out

Sorry, I don't know diddly about body work other than common sense. Sounds like basically the right idea though. Do you plan to reinstall the roof rack ?? You can use jack nuts. 1/4-20 will hold like 300 lbs each and are easy to install. Much to my suprise, Napa autoparts had them and plastic coated also so they don't scratch and seal better.

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/jacknut.asp

B

I suck at using bondo! It dried up on me too quick. Also, it's very runny beforehand and so it went through the holes. Gotta find someone to tack some sheetmetal on or what not. I'm going to have to clean roof again since it's rusting over again due to the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm almost done with the botch job. Used a rattle can and didn't realized I picked up the wrong stuff and started spraying. Thought I had picked up the primer... but ended up being paint. oh well. I didn't tape the area off and went at it. Yeah, it looks like crap, but it should keep her from rusting :)