Removing A/C

Hey all, I am working on lightening my pathfinder and turning it into an off-road project...

My Pathfinder came with AC and I am wondering what the best way to remove the lines is? I really don't want to be letting a bunch of CFCs out.

Also, can I jsut remove the pulley on the engine for the AC and replace the belt with a smaller one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You'll have to have the system drained of refrigerant if you want to do it legally, of course. Call around to a mechanic shop or two, maybe?

The AC idler pulley will come right off no problem. The belt comes with it, it doesn't drive anything else.

Honestly, removing the AC is only going to give you 25 lbs or so. *shrug* Maybe less, I've never weighed a Nissan compressor. Drop in the bucket when the rest of it weighs 4100 lbs. 10 gallons of gas weighs more than your AC system does.

I'd say a good midway point is just removing the idler pulley, belt and compressor and leaving everything else as-is, it's all aluminum on the tubing and exchanger/condensor anyway. I suppose you could toss the accumulator too, if you felt like it. Might make a nice catch can for PCV, though. ;)

Thanks for the help! Are you sure I wouldn't need to replace the belt? there are 3 pulleys on that belt in my pathfinder... As much as weight, I am also wanting to make some room in the engine compartment and the PO bent the thing in front of the radiator to hell...not sure what that's called...

Sucks I need to get it to a shop, it's not registered or insured yet :(

Edited by DirtJumper

Thanks for the help! Are you sure I wouldn't need to replace the belt? there are 3 pulleys on that belt in my pathfinder... As much as weight, I am also wanting to make some room in the engine compartment and the PO bent the thing in front of the radiator to hell...not sure what that's called...

Sucks I need to get it to a shop, it's not registered or insured yet :(

I've been running 2 years without the AC belt with no adverse effects - removed it after I discovered the compressor clutch was bad and too much of a cheapskate to replace it (really don't need AC in Western Washington). You'll be surprised how much quieter your engine is without it. As far as your coolant lines are concerned, I'd agree with 88 and have a shop remove them, don't want to do anything illegal, I wouldn't :hide: