SES Light code P1140 x2

rmd0311

So after a long drive on the Pathy. I come back home Sunday night and fuel up with Sunoco 91 Octane before I park the Pathy for the night.

In the morning I turn her on as normal, warm her up for a minute or so. Take off and about a 1/4 mile later, that dreadful SES light comes on. The first thing that comes to my mind is maybe last night I was too tired and did not tighten the Gas Cap fully. So when I get to the train station I take off the gas cap and put it back on NICE AND TIGHT.

Get back home at night and borrow my neighbors reader. He has the same type they use in Autozone an Actron CP9135. It throws 3 codes.

1- The Knock Sensor - This is normal according to Nissan disregard and it is so disregard. The knock sensor does not trip the ECU.

2. P1140 - Manufacturer Control - Fuel Air Metering

3. Same as 2.

So I say to myself great its probably JUST that. The gas cap. Let me instead of taking it off, let it go out by itself. Curious as I am, I decide to look it up in the Service Manual and this says

p1140 - Right Intake Valve Timing Control Sensor (Circuit)

So here lies the question. Should I erase with the reader and see if it comes back. Or take to dealer and let them do it (i'm afraid though that this sensor might not be included in the warranty)..

Also who should I believe, the machine of the service manual.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rmd0311

If you don't notice any difference in your vehicle, in terms of fuel economy, performance, or running quality, clear the codes and see if they come back. If they do, bring it in and have it properly diagnosed.

So, I turned OFF the SES light and it came back on almost right away. Turn it off last night when I got home from work. Drove 5 miles to the train station this morning. The light was back on when I got back to the train station this afternoon.

Is something like this covered under one of those dealer warranties you get when you buy a used car?

Yeah, Ive replaced a few of those sensors at work. They used the same manufacturer for those sensors as the crank position sensors that were recalled. And yes, many extended warranties will cover the sensors, but not all. You may also have a Air Flow Meter failing as well, setting the other code(replaced a few of those also!).

Warranty should cover this., but we will find out... I did find out that the Stabilizer Link is covered so I will take advantage and get that replaced as well.