Replace rear sensor on 96 SE shocks?

Just got a call from Pep Boys saying they have to get new sensors for the shocks on my 96 SE Pathy. I realize the SE model has remote adjustable shocks to control ride quality (sport or soft), but I never used it (I bought it with 100000 miles on it, so probably never worked anyway). Does anybody know if these sensors really need to be replaced when you get new shocks? Pep Boy said they would have to get them from a Nissan dealer , so I asked if they could just bypass the sensors and switch. If not, what is a reasonable price for these sensors + labor? (If any thing bought from a dealer can be considered reasonable priced) Already searched this topic and didn't find anything about this specific subject.

:angry: I keep getting different stories from Pep Boys. Now they say the sensors don't need replacing (good, when I called Nissan, they said they are $300.00+ each and shouldn't need replacing, unless broken somehow). However, instead of the Monroe sensa trac shocks, Pep Boys said they had to special order air shocks from Nissan :confused: . I was told I'd get the truck back today (4 days late!) Hope I get it back in good working order. pssd

• 1 month later...

They're not sensors, they're small solenoids that change the damping rate of the shocks. If you're replacing them with anything BUT Nissan stock shocks, then simply unplug them and tape the ends up. Nothing will happen otherwise. Oh, and I don't think Nissan has ever used air shocks on Pathfinders, regardless of trim level.

Pep Boys is NOT a good place to go for any kind of qualified advice or service on your vehicle, haven't you heard some of the horror stories about that place?