Stock 4x4 conversion on a 2 wheel drive

Cuong Nguyen

This is something for those out there who are two wheel drive and looking to convert to 4x4. This is other option to having a front drivetrain of some sort. it would be cheaper and perhaps easier to start off with 4x4 in the beginning but you live and you learn and it's a part of modding and wrenching. You're probably thinking, why not just go with a solid axle swap? Well, some people do not realize how much money is involved in one. You think it's cheap? Not one bit. I know from personal experience. Anyways, you can pick up most of these parts from people who swapped to a solid front axle for relatively cheap if not dirt free.

Majority of the swap is mostly bolt except for the front differential. The two wheel drive pathfinders lack the rear frame mounts for the front diffrential crossmember. There are two crossmembers that the front diff sits on and the 2wd has only one--the main one that holds the front suspension together. you're going have to fabricate some mounts/brackets in order to securely mount the front differential. Everything else needed for the swap is basically common sense stuff which I hope all of you have. If not, I highly suggest you pick up a FSM or at least a Chilton's or Haynes or equivilent at the bare minimum. I can do the swap in probably two days by myself with hand tools. One day is pushing it if I started in the morning. As for those who have never tackled such a job. Expect a week at most so make sure you have another vehicle to get around in.

What you will need:

front differential/axle with corresponding gear ratio to match the rear

axle shafts

manual hubs--the autos will work fine but you might as well upgrade to the manuals right now

front spindle/hub assemblies (optional but recommended: new rotors/turned w/ new brakes)

front drive shaft

rear one piece drive shaft

corrresponding transmission with transfer case

shifter assembly and accessories

Speedometer cable (?)

PB Blaster or similar

Jacks

2 set of jack stands

Optional but recommended:

upper ball joints

lower ball joints

Lift UCAs

Aftermarket torsion bars

steering upgrade

rear main seal

transfer case gear oil

• 2 weeks later...

My 4x4 swap price

rough country lift arms 200

lower balljoints 54

upper balljoints 40

inner tie rods 26

outer tie rods 70

Warn Locking hubs 150

Firestone lifetime alignment 150

CV axles 200

SAW torsion bars 190

sway bar disconnects 90

parts pathfinder 700

L&P steering stage 2 355

total: 2225

Bare minimum

auto locking hubs 15

CV axles 200

transmission+t-case 500

transmission crossmember 35

spindles 100

front drive shaft 35

rear drive shaft 55

front differential 100

front crossmember 25

total 1065

welding and metal not included as well as tax. the prices vary depending on how cheap you can get the stuff for. Just a ballpark figure.