Another Tranny oil topic: Good new Bad news

vidro

Hum?

I put 75-90 GL-4 Generic brand oil in the tranny after rebuilding it about 8 months ago.

I bought this Pathy real cheap because the tranny, a 5 speed manual, was falling out of it (this is an exaggeration)

The tranny was making low growling noises in 4th and reveres.

When I drain the tranny oil there were chunks of metal coming out.

The cause of the problems was the Main shaft bearing had dissolved

Long story short I rebuild the thing, put this generic oil in and she ran BUT she was never really quite, it still how kind of a low "operational whine".

Last night I drained the oil to put in the"Red Line" oil, what dripped out of the tranny bothers me, it was black with a little grey.

I know dang well that what I put in there was a clear brown oil.

I put the Red Line in and drove it around, now the "operational whine" is gone, this is a good thing but now I wonder if I screwed up the tranny by putting that Generic 75-90 Gl 4 crap in the first time.

P.S.

Any of you fellows live in the Boston area?

Any body an IT person?

I doubt the type of oil has much to do with it, the tranny is simply dying on you. First goes the bearing rollers, then the cage, then it heats up and starts cooking fluid and making it black and nasty...you know where this is heading...

OUCH!

She seems to be driving so much better with the Redline fluid in it I hope she doesn't crash and burn.

Well after the insurance paid on the damage that kid did to it, I'm really only out 200 to 300 bucks if the tranny crashes now.