Signal light/tail light problems

strykeone

87 3.0 v6.

Both my front driver side signal light and passenger tail light are out. I pulled and replaced both bulbs with much trouble because of the rust/corrosion in them. The tail light was especially bad (couldn't even see the contact). Neither worked with new bulbs.

The tail light is really bad...can I just buy a replacement "plug" (don't know the name) and slap it in? Is there a way to clean it?

The signal on the other hand has rust inside, just not nearly as much, I can see the contact but it refuses to work. The other signal works fine.

Thanks in advance =)

You might try to scavenge some replacement lights from the JunkYard. The good thing is all fit up thru '92 I think when they changed body style. Contact with the bulb sounds like your problem. If you go by way of junkyard, snag a new light switch too. It's an easy swap and can address the contact issue from both ends.

I'm curious did all lights go out a once?

No they did not go all out at once, the signal light went the day i put in a new battery, though I doubt that those are related.

By light switch do you mean the one on the steering column? Because I've already addressed that issue :D

For the tail light should I replace the whole thing or just the pplug for the light?

For the tail light should I replace the whole thing or just the pplug for the light?

I would replace whole thing. I replaced my running lights because they were cracked. I didn't consider trying to salvage covers for that reason. My advice is based off how easy it was to remove them. I have not removed my tail lights but don't think they would be any more difficult. Someone else may need to correct me though :hide: