Rust!

ILoveMyPatty

Okay so, I've got a patch of rust on my rocker panel, it's pretty bad

It goes through the metal, a patch about 4"x 2".

There is also some surface rust on my bumpers and spare tire carrier.

What I am wondering is, how do I go about fixing the rust?

The surface rust on the bumpers I would like to fix by sanding it away and repainting the bumper with a type of bedliner. One concern with this is that the bedliner will not stick on the paint. So, should I sand away all of the paint on the bumper and paint the whole thing with bedliner, or could I possibly get away with bedlining over top of the paint.

But, of course, first of all I will need to decide on a TYPE of bedliner.

So, I will ask, does anyone have experience with a certain type(s) of bedliner brands?

Doesn't matter if it's roll on or in a spray can. I don't want it to be smooth, I want it somewhat rough, like Rhino Lining, but that stuff is super expensive.

So, then back to the hole in my rocker panel. How in the world do I fix this!? Do I take it to a body shop to get fixed, or do I get a can of plastic body filler and do it myself? Please help me with this, where I live is a bad place for rust, and it's spreading :confused:

Thanks!

well.. you can try here for your bedliner/por 15 tried n tested results....

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showforum=26

and as far as rust goes.. i know someone fixed a rusted rocker panel not long ago but for the life of me i can't remember who.. but here's a write up on frame rot and how to deal with rust ;)

ok.. so i seem to have lost the linky dink.. i know it's here somewhere.. couldn't find it in the how to's section.. lemme get back to you on that one.. sorry

For the bumpers and tire carrier, I would highly recommend getting them sandblasted and powdercoated. It can get pricy, but should not ever rust again and you get a rock hard finish with the powdercoat.

As for the rockers, best bet would be to cut them off and have a shop bend some sheet metal into the same shape and weld them on. Thats what I did and you'd never know they weren't factory. I think new panels are something insane, like $800 for a new rocker panel from Nissan and no company's make jobber panels.

Edit: There is no point in rolling bed liner overtop of paint on a rusty panel, chances are it is rusting from the inside and will rust away under the rhino-liner. You'd be better off getting new panels and then coating them.

Edited by madhatter_xe