Oil Cooler

wheel366

Now that I have the new eingine, do yo uthink I should get an oil cooler? I will be running synthetic from now on, which I always did before.

I still want to run a filter relocation kit. Will there be a problem running both a cooler and a relocation kit?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to which electric fan I should get? AC has a few. Are any of them good? I'm not a big fan of theirs after reading all the sh!t about them, but something I need to look at the convenience factor too. Ti's all right there and I don't have to spend much time looking. I will be getting my body lift from them and most likely my rear rotors since they offer slotted rotors that are also drums.

How do you use the truck?

Unless you do a lot of really slow driving, the stock system will be adequate.

But if you do use it hard, it is good insurance. Make sure you use a cooler with a thermostat to avoid overcooling if you live in a harsh climate.

Electric fan?

Everything I've read indicates the ubiquitous mid 90's 2 speed 3.8L Taurus/ Continental fan pulls a LOT more air than ANY of the aftermarket ones I've ever seen. And it comes with a very nice shroud. Should cost somewhere between $20 and $50 from a JY, and then you can get the super nice 31165 variable speed controller from Flex-a-lite ($79 from Summit) and you have a quite the deluxe set up.

A clue to how much air a fan moves is how much amperage it pulls - The more current, the more power, the more air it is likely moving. Most aftermarket can run on 30 amp relays. To run high speed on the Taurus, you need at least 40 amp.

The two speed feature is nice as well. I have mine using a controller to the low speed circuit.

And when crawling around in the desert during the summer, I hit the HURRICANE button...

And if you really want to move some air:

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

You will absolutely need at least 100 amps of alternator output to keep up with this puppy...

I can't get to that link now. I'll try again later.

I live in Jersey. It can be as hot as 110 in the summer but right now it is around 30. I plan to do some off-roading as soon as I finish up with the body shop and get my steering system. I don't know about this new enigne, but with the old one when I was on the highway with the AC on, I remember having the engine temp above half almost to the 3/4 mark.

I'll have the new shop look and see if they can get that taurus fan. I'm also gonna have them look at all my bushings. I know that I had the upper control arms done, but I'm not sure what that"other" mechanic changed.