Amateur/Ham Radio

Guest Guinness

Guest Guinness

Hello, are there any hams on the list that have installed radios in your Pathy? Looking for some installation and antenna ideas.

Guinness

I dont know the first thing about that type of thing... but the place we buy our CB stuff from has a lot of the ham stuff as well, you might get some ideas from their site... bonus for you -- they're Canadian too!

Durham Radio

My local club has been talking about Ham for awhile now. One of the members is planning on doing some training and get us licensed cuz he's a guru of communications. Luckily he's riding with me tomorrow on a day trip so I'll ask him for you.

Hello, are there any hams on the list that have installed radios in your Pathy? Looking for some installation and antenna ideas.

Guinness

WAVEY Right here. A few of us in our club have our Ham license.

My mobile radio is a quad band so I have one main quad band antenna. I also have a Yagi 2meter back up antenna and a 70cm backup antenna for cross band repeating.

The hand held is used for Cross band and I just use the rubber duckey to the quad band to go through the Pathy.

VE6BEE

I am considering yaesu 757d vs icom-7000. Do a search to find how some guys wired their CB antennas for some ideas. Also not related to Pathies but still a must read is "k0bg.com" web site on mobiling. 73 glenn

I am considering yaesu 757d vs icom-7000. Do a search to find how some guys wired their CB antennas for some ideas. Also not related to Pathies but still a must read is "k0bg.com" web site on mobiling. 73 glenn

That's a nice site. I haven't been back to it for many months. Thanks for posting the link.

My setup in the Pathy is basic. I keep the face plate attached to the radio and mount it right on top of the dash. I do this so I can remove it quickly to transfer it. On longer road trips, I'll only keep the face plate on top of the dash and run the radio from the back out of sight.

73's.

Guest FastMover

Guinness

Hi Guinness

I installed an Icom 2720 dual band in my 2005 pathy.

The 2720 is a split unit, I put the head in front of the shifter on the center console. I mounted the radio and speaker under the pass seat. I ran 12 ga teflon directly to the batt. I am using a MFJ dual band mag mount, its mounted on the pass rear 6 in. from the tailgate. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the hatch recess to run the coax inside. I may in the future mount a non mag mount but for now it works great

Jim

Guest Guinness
Hi Guinness

I installed an Icom 2720 dual band in my 2005 pathy.

The 2720 is a split unit, I put the head in front of the shifter on the center console. I mounted the radio and speaker under the pass seat. I ran 12 ga teflon directly to the batt. I am using a MFJ dual band mag mount, its mounted on the pass rear 6 in. from the tailgate. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the hatch recess to run the coax inside. I may in the future mount a non mag mount but for now it works great

Jim

Hiya Jim.. I did the same idea with my FT-8500 a while ago, and then the same with the TH-D700 APRS radio in my car (which was traded in for the Pathy!). They both had the separation kit. I'm looking to not use the separation kit again, but there's not as much room in the cockpit as I thought there was!

Guinness

My good buddy Will just achieved Eagle Scout and one of his merit badges he had to make a cb radio type of thing and hes starting to get into these because of that project. his dad is real big into ham radios and whatnot so hes tryin to get informed on it. i read that entire webpage and i'm still confused by it all. i really dont know much about them. all i know if is i have a cobra cb, whip that works great, and a loud ass pa speaker. thats about as far as i venture into it, haha. any other good sites y'all know of that can get me out the dark on this hobby?

This willl give u a general idea.

ARRL - Ham Radio

read more on arrl.org for all kinds of stuff

Guinness

this is from my installation

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5838&st=0

KF6WVM

Edited by SteeevO

Guest FastMover
Hiya Jim.. I did the same idea with my FT-8500 a while ago, and then the same with the TH-D700 APRS radio in my car (which was traded in for the Pathy!). They both had the separation kit.  I'm looking to not use the separation kit again, but there's not as much room in the cockpit as I thought there was!

Guinness

Here a few pics of my install

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg