Motor Oil Question

Guest ReyXLP

Guest ReyXLP

I've got a 97 SE with about 85k on the clock.

I am thinking about switching to synthetic.

I am worried about getting leaks -- I've heard after this many miles, with some cars switching to synthetic will result in oil leaks.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks.

Absolute crap. It's a myth. If an engine starts leaking, it's because the seals are old and shot or it's been abused or overreved, and that's the only reason. It's completely safe to use synthetic oil in your Pathfinder. Your Pathfinder engine probably won't even leak past the 120,000 mile mark.

using sythentic oil likely will just let you know if you have a leak or not ... it doesn't cause leaks ... personally ... I use SAE 30 and every other oil change I use marvel mystery oil for 1 out of the 4 total quarts just to keep things loose... I've had problems with using Quaker State synthetics glazing on engine internals ... although this isn't a SERIOUS problem, it can have adverse affects on bearings and cylinder surfaces ...

all that I have ever put in it was quaker ... and I changed to oil pan out at about 152k and everything was pretty much clean ...

then I tore it all apart after I sheared the Keyway keeper on the crank shaft ... you could see the grime and wear in all the bearing jurnals and bearings them selves ... and I was never one to get a few more miles on an oil change ... I was good about that ... it wasn't like it was a huge problem, but that build up caused about a 1/16 inch of constriction all the way around through the oil system ... the stuff looked like it was varnished right on the the sides ... NOT GOOD ...

• 5 weeks later...