Where are all the parts for the heating system?

well guys and gals, my pathfinder seems to have a problem. heater doesnt work. can some one tell me where all the parts for the system are. like right from switches all the way to the blower? and what each thing is?

and I got a good one for you all, when you take the power wire from the cig. lighter, and touch it to the power wire on the rear window switch(the one that pops the rear window), the blower motor will start up? WTF?!?!

and then theres even more weird things going on with my truck, but I just dont want to get into that now :sniff:

Last thing, I HATE ELECTIRCAL PROBLEMS! HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!(even though about selling the truck today... :sniff: )

:help:

What do you mean heater doesn't work? Is it that the blower won't blow (unless turned on by the vig lighter and window switch) or you are not getting any heat. The first is definatly a strange elctrical problem, the latter probobly a clogged heater core... in which case you would want to disonnect the lines from the firewall and blow LOW PRESSURE air through it to try and unclog it first. replacing can get expensive to have someone do and frustrsating to do yourself as all the components are hidden nicely behind dash.

Hey guys,

Sry I should probly reword what I was saying(wasnt really thinking right last night)

First, the blower motor wont turn over unless I use the cig/window switch, or I pull a wire strait from the batt to the wire coming off the blower. When I do ether, It doesnt matter if the switch on the dash is in any of the 4 on postions or off, And it will work with or with out keys in the ingnition. Now I know that It would do this with the wire strait from the battery, but with the cig/window?!?!

Second, I do have both manuals. But lets face it, the chilton REALLY REALLY SUX, the hayness not all that much better. But according to the manuals, theres the switch in the dash, the blower motor relay, the resistor, and then the motor itself. All I need to know is where the relay is? the resistor is that white box thing right behind the glove box, correct?

Third, I dont have any power going to my cig lighter. I tested with a multi meter and nothing(like .01 volts) so this would lead me to belive that the cig lighter pulls power off of the blower motor wire, after what ever is blowen in my circut.(because once theres a 12 volt source(window swithch) the motor will trun over(only on full blast tho, which suggests to me that this cig. wire is after the resistor. Now this is fine and dandy, but by the manual, the cig and blower dont have anything to do with each other other than the ground.).

I dont know what to do with this thing...

Well I fixed it, turns out just to be the resistor. got one free from the JY so I was happy that was all that was wrong. I also got my 6" lights wired up, WOW there bright. but me like an idiot touched one of the blubs when I took it apart, so not suprizingly it blew in 5 min.

I do have one question tho, on the back of the risistor, there are those 3 little coils. the one I took out of mine had some grey hard crusty stuff covering the side of all three, it was like one big grey crusty thing covering them all. the one I put in there had the same thing, just it wasnt as much, and wasnt touching all together. any Idea what this stuff could be?

• 3 years later...
well guys and gals, my pathfinder seems to have a problem. heater doesnt work. can some one tell me where all the parts for the system are. like right from switches all the way to the blower? and what each thing is?

I've been working through this problem trying to trace the problem and search the boards for someone with the same problem. Finally someone posted the results of their search for a heater fix!

and I got a good one for you all, when you take the power wire from the cig. lighter, and touch it to the power wire on the rear window switch(the one that pops the rear window), the blower motor will start up? WTF?!?!

This just cracks me up. I've been searching these forums for hours now looking for blower fixes and I read this and just rolled over laughing. :laugh: I read it again and it just got better. I keep imagining someone randomly connecting wires and a random part starts up. :crossedwires: Thanks for the laugh.

Last thing, I HATE ELECTIRCAL PROBLEMS! HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!(even though about selling the truck today... :sniff: )

:help:

I agree completely although I'm doing quite a bit of electrical diagnosis on this pathy so it's great experience.

I have been thinking the resistor was the issue, but I'm hesitant to go buy one. The one I have now has correct resistances at each terminal so I don't know how to tell if its a bad resistor still or not. Also the blower is clean with a clean compartment where the resistor sits. I also hooked a power cable directly to the blower and it works so a bad blower is ruled out. :scratchhead: