Maxima motor swap begins

unccpathfinder

had some time to mess with the truck yest...tightened up the rocker arms changed valve cover seals finished bolting up the intake and hooking up all the vacum, fuel, electrical stuff...put the timing belt on and cleaned up the belt covers put them on...went to bolt up the fan and fan pulley...big no go the flange is smaller in diameter and the snout has to be like an inch shorter than my old 1 (i used the maxima waterpump since mine has those really long flanges and wouldnt work b/c of the way the timing belt cover is for this motor and i didnt wanna go pulling the cam gear and all that stuff to change it so its like mine

so my question is does any1 know for sure if the D21 2 wheel drive waterpump has the same snout length as the 4x4 WD21...im gonna go to napa sometime when i find a ride but i did look online and found that the maxima WP and d21 4x2 were diff part #'s but looked the same so im hoping thats the case

if not looks like im buying 1 for the wd21 4x4 and taking it to the shop to put on the band saw and take off the flanges

note:they dont have a 4x2 wd21 listed for parts

and the saga continues...does any1 know where the post is for the single wire i've got the cable from the battery and the plug hooked up but i have a 3rd wire that i know had a pole to hook to...well i cant remember/find it and im guessing it broke off or something if some1 has a pic of their starter that would be awsome so i could try and see where it goes...

hopefully tomorrow will be the final day but highly doubt it cuze things just seem to keep on getting worse and not going the right way

and the saga continues...does any1 know where the post is for the single wire i've got the cable from the battery and the plug hooked up but i have a 3rd wire that i know had a pole to hook to...well i cant remember/find it and im guessing it broke off or something if some1 has a pic of their starter that would be awsome so i could try and see where it goes...

hopefully tomorrow will be the final day but highly doubt it cuze things just seem to keep on getting worse and not going the right way

You should only have two wires that run to the starter, excluding the Earth wire that is there permanently. One should be a heavy (red) wire from the battery and it will be a nut down job. The other, a smaller gauge (mines purple) wire that will have a female spade terminal from the ignition that will slide on. All connect to the soleniod part of the starter. The starter has two threaded poles (Earth and positive) and one male spade terminal.

purple) wire that will have a female spade terminal from the ignition that will slide on. All connect to the soleniod part of the starter. The starter has two threaded poles (Earth and positive) and one male spade terminal.

yea its the 1 with the spaded type connector...and i know it goes to the solenoid but i think i might have broken the tab off that it connected to b/c i dont remember it being hard to find last time i had it all unhooked and went to hook it back up....so if i know about where it goes and can locate where it broke off (if thats the case) i'll get out a soldering iron and see what happens...if not im while im scrounging for the windshield im gonna take a pic of the 87 and 88 they ahve in the yard and see if i can figure it out...its just turned into a PITA...im too close for all this stuff to be going wrong

and i had every1 and their brother calling me cuze mom doesnt pay attention and i was like well the way my luck is going the motor will end up smoking or something and she interperted that as the truck runs but smokes so every1 was like man i heard u got the truck going heard it smokes that sucks....i was like WTF mom get the story strait

as soon as i get the waterpump tomorrow and figure out where that wire goes she should with a big ole cross of the fingers crank up

im thinking about video taping the crankup since it can go really good or really bad and either way might be a moment in history

yea its the 1 with the spaded type connector...and i know it goes to the solenoid but i think i might have broken the tab off that it connected to b/c i dont remember it being hard to find last time i had it all unhooked and went to hook it back up....so if i know about where it goes and can locate where it broke off (if thats the case) i'll get out a soldering iron and see what happens...if not im while im scrounging for the windshield im gonna take a pic of the 87 and 88 they ahve in the yard and see if i can figure it out...its just turned into a PITA...im too close for all this stuff to be going wrong

and i had every1 and their brother calling me cuze mom doesnt pay attention and i was like well the way my luck is going the motor will end up smoking or something and she interperted that as the truck runs but smokes so every1 was like man i heard u got the truck going heard it smokes that sucks....i was like WTF mom get the story strait

as soon as i get the waterpump tomorrow and figure out where that wire goes she should with a big ole cross of the fingers crank up

im thinking about video taping the crankup since it can go really good or really bad and either way might be a moment in history

Take a step away from the Pathy for a day. Just do not think about it at all in that time. It is amazing how such a short break can give you a new perspective.

I had a similar experience when I did the live axle, so did sw (Steve) I think. The closer to the finish the less patience you get for some reason and silly errors are easy to make.

Having said that, the broken terminal should be staring you in the face. It will be close to the outer edge of the soleniod, either at the bottom or furtherest away from the donk (I can't remember).

yea i let her sit for about a week or so...im gonna go ahead and try to finsih up everything else then come back to the starter...if i have problems i'll just stop thats what i've been doing and prob y im not done yet but hopefully everything goes alright today

today went fairly alright...i got started late after running around for parts for 2 hrs since pdq doesnt run on sat....then i went to bass pro for like 3 hrs but came back about 4 and got the driveshafts in...tranny crossmemeber and an 1.5 hrs of grinding/air hammering 2 exhaust bolts off so i could get the down tubes seperated so they'd go around the tranny (put her back together a different order than taking it apart but all is well on today

i left the starter for another day...if its not raining tomorrow im going to reindex the t bars and possibly go hunting at the junkyard for a starter to use to figure out what i need to do to make mine work cuze i think its gonna be about time to get more creative

and a question that single lead is just the relay switch to tell the solenoid to kick on correct?

Edited by unccpathfinder