Smokin'

GHSER7

I'm with OldPathy.

I have seen ATF get sucked into the carb if the vacuum module on the tranny has gone bad.

I have also seen it where ATF has been sucked into the brake vacuum booster.

In general I have found that where ATF shows up depends on where the modules vacuum is being supplied from.

Didn't consider vacuum controlled autos, but I try not to think of GM products, though I just spent 3 hours driving around for a ported vacuum switch for a Monte Carlo. Now that I think of it, there wasn't any vacuum to the trans on that one - which is probably the only nice thing I can think of on the car. :)

Happy New Year! -alcohol- -alcohol- -alcohol- -alcohol- :beer:

In restoring a 67 Cougar. I have become reacquainted with vacuum system.

When I purchased this beast she was not running so I flat bedded her to the domicile.

Long story short I replaced many parts on this feline, all brake components were replaced.

It's a power brake, 4 corner DRUM brake system and replacing the vacuum booster was a part of the repairs

About 6 months ago I was driving the Coug around when I heard a POP, she instantly went from Power brakes to manual brake in a blink of an eye.

I came close to doing the Flintstone thing, thank goodness I wear thick soled boots.

I had a life time warranty on the booster, makes me wonder what the odds are of collecting a new booster if your brakes go out while driving in major traffic, you think that's why they say "Life Time Warranty". If you survive a failure you deserve a new booster?

I survived and got another booster, but when I yanked the other one off I noticed liquid inside the booster.

I looked at the vacuum hoses and found the one going to the "Automatic tranny vacuum shift mod" was wet. I went under the vehicle pulled the hose off the module and notice ATF coming out of the vacuum hose and module.

Not sure if the ATF caused the diaphragm to pop by that is what happened

Wouldn't Slick's pathy have an all electronic transmission relying on solenoids only to do the shifting rather than vacuum pressure? I have a '93 auto and I've been told that all the shifting is done electronically :shrug:

Edited by 93blkpathr

Wouldn't Slick's pathy have an all electronic transmission relying on solenoids only to do the shifting rather than vacuum pressure? I have a '93 auto and I've been told that all the shifting is done electronically :shrug:

i have a 5 speed tranny ;):aok:

You're right most newer cars would be electronically controlled. Sorry about my referancing older technology. I guess working with this 67 has regressed my thinking placing all vehicles in the same vintage

My pathie being a 5 speed manual would not use vacuum.

Back in the day Chevy (can I say that here) had a modulator on I believe it was the 2 speed powerglide. Never did know what it did, It was a diaphram in what looked like an oil sending unit except it had a vacum line on it. When the diphram cracked or split the vacum sucked ATF into the intake manifold. It caused a little smoke but it realy made you search all over to figure out where your ATF was going.

Don't know if pathfinders have such a thing or not.

Mindless trivia...............

Yep, had a Mercury Cougar with a leaking modulator valve. Years later, believe it or not, had the same thing happen on a 1979 RX7 with an auto. Looked like a diesel running down the road!

I don't believe the Pathy uses a modulator valve, though...