1989 gas and temp guages

Guest 94vtecmn

Guest 94vtecmn

I believe I have a grounding issue, as both guages go dead, but then come to life from time to time, and then go out again. Any ideas on where the common ground may be, so I can fix this?

Rusty but trusty, she's one hell of a good winter beater......

Sounds like you have a bad temp/gas gauge voltage regulator my friend. About forty dollars for a replacement from the stealer and about $3 and a little (i do mean little) knowledge of electronics/electrical. I had written a document up on this a while back here's the link to it.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.com/Solution2.pdf

Denis

Edited by denisb

• 4 weeks later...

i have an 88 pathfinder that is doing the same thing plus the battery light is on and the tach doesn't work now, i tested the alternator with an volt gauge and it's working, the regulator that you guys talk about on the back of the dash, is that just for the dash gauges? :shrug:

Edited by dvcoo

i have an 88 pathfinder that is doing the same thing plus the battery light is on and the tach doesn't work now, i tested the alternator with an volt gauge and it's working, the regulator that you guys talk about on the back of the dash, is that just for the dash gauges? :shrug:

I don't have my manual in front of me but I'm 99% sure that it's solely for the temp and fuel gauge. I sorta recall tracing back on that voltage line when I fixed mine and don't remember seeing anything else on there.

oops, never mind. i had neglected to check the fuse and that was the problem,most of the time it's not that easy for me. this is my first nissan and i kinda half expected it to be something hard to get at and expensive. the headlamps and dash lights didn't work either and after reading some of the posts on here i thought i was going to be rewiring the headlamps but after taking the swicth out and cleaning the contacts the lights came back on and were suprisingly bright. thanks. :bow: