A.I.V in engine bay, 88pathoffroad.........

SC1

I'm would like to make some room in the engine bay of my 87, i'm looking at all the crap in the front of the bay on the drivers side. Acording to my manuel there is the A.I.V HOT BOX, control valve, AIV case, emission canister, ect. Can I remove all this rusted up crap, plug the pipe's coming from the exhaust. I'm basicly looking at everything in that corner minus the coil. I'm don't need to wory about emmisions. ANybody removed all this stuff, and adverse affects? Or should I leave it alone. 88pathoffroad, I noticed in one of your engine bay pics you didn't have this stuff, correct?

The AIV is basically for smog purposes. The only possible issues I could think of is clogging the CAT easier or fouling the O2 sensor faster but I'm not sure to what degree. If you have no emissions testing and dont really care about poluting, I'm fairly certain it can be removed. I have no idea if 88 has done this, but you may be waiting a while for his response; he is currently indisposed. I'm sure others will chime in...

B

I was looking through the forums and came across a pic of 88's engine bay, It didn't look like that stuff was there, so good to know. I'm not to worried about my cat's, they arn't there. All these AIV part's on my truck are rusted to sht for some reason. It's kinda wierd, they are so bad they are crumbling away. So out they come, I need some more room in there.

Thanks for the imput guys.