Failed smog.. barely... need ideas!

Slick

Third one from the right looks a bit dark, but that could just be the lighting on the photo. Have you run any injector cleaner through and changed the fuel filter?

Also, you can check for a single cylinder problem by pulling one plug wire at a time (old mechanic's trick that has actually made its way into the FSM). If one doesn't change the idle as much as the others, there's something wrong with that cylinder (plug, wire, injector, valve, rings,...).

New injectors will probably help, but may not necessarily be the cause. You could also have the injectors cleaned (I don't know what shops charge these days, but it should be considerably less than new ones) and they can also test the injectors (rate and pattern).

yeah. I cnaged the fuel filter about 6 weeks ago, and I have started running Lucas fuel treatment through this tank of gas.

I am going to run the ecu and see if it throws any codes, cuz i am almost certain the dash light is not working, so if there is a problem, the ecu will tell me cuz the light won't/can't.

I may do the plug test... I'll see what happens after the ecu... then I will get a BFH like-ah-so P... ......just kidding... or am I? sssh

Isn't this a '92, with OBD I (not OBD II), which, unless I am mistaken and mine is an exception, does not have a CES dash light? - had to ask :confused:

mine does have the little check engine thing on the dash.. though i have never in 2 years seen it so much as flicker on....

P... ok. UPDATE:

Ran the codes today.. 55's across the board. No help there. Checked all plugs/hoses/wires again.. still nothing amiss.

Going to do a compression test once I get Dave over here with his tester.... and maybe a little reading up on how to do that fuel pressure test..... other than that... I am still stumped!