Idleing

Airrun2002

Guys/gals, i going to be sleeping in my pathy for the next few nights and i got a question im hoping someone can answer. How long will a pathy idle on a gallon of fuel? Its hot as heck here so i want to have the air conditioner running. Is this a stupid idea? Any first hand experience? Are we talking a 1/4 tank for like 8 hours? Or more like 1/2 tank? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

DONT SLEEP IN A RUNNING VEHICLE!

its just bad news.

nevermind the sleeping, think of the needless polultion. do youself and your vehicle a favor, buy a cheapo AC/fan unit and a 12v converter. then if your battery starts to die, start the truck up for a few minutes if need be.

Edited by derogate

Yes, i will use my battery drain brain radar to monitor the battery condition in my sleep. :P................. i would not wake up to charge the battery,just not plausible. I cant afford a "cheap" ac/fan unit. I have a converter and a fan but batterys dont last that long, even deep cycle. Why not sleep in a running vehicle? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

well for one, the carbon monoxide could kill you without you even knowing it. secondly, its bad for your engine to idle that long. Lastly its just irresponsible to let a vehicle idle that long just so you can use the AC, its horrible for the environment, and wastes fuel. I'm sure some other people can come up with some good reasons also.

i obviously can't tell you what to do, but, i really... really. don't think its a good idea.

ideling is the WORSE thing you can do to a vehicle, specialy for that long! best bet, like said above, buy a power inverter or one of those power jumper packs from autozone that has the outlets. much cheaper and safer.

carbon monxide:

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, tasteless, odorless, and non-irritating gas formed when carbon in fuel is not burned completely. It enters the bloodstream through the lungs and attaches to hemoglobin (Hb), the body's oxygen carrier, forming carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) and thereby reducing oxygen (O2) delivery to the body's organs and tissues. High COHb concentrations are poisonous. Central nervous system (CNS) effects in individuals suffering acute CO poisoning cover a wide range, depending on severity of exposure: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, confusion, collapse, and coma.

so dont do it, and if its carbon dioxide that is the problem, they both pretty much do the same

I agree with all above.. never sleep in a running vehicle. Roll the windows down or buy a little battery operated fan that squirts water on you or something.. you do not drive a semi. Trucks n cars are not meant to idle for long periods...it is not good for you or your motor.

Have a safe trip whatever you decide!