tranny going out?

mudfinder

i went wheeling today and couldn't climb anything. i mean nothing. when i would try to climb something. the engine would really hesitate. the rpm would go up down up down. i literally didn't have any power to my rear wheels when climbing.

when i'm fully stopped, and punch it, it would hesitate bog down, rpm goes up and down. when i punch it in any other gear besides first, she takes off no prob. any possiblitiy my tranny is going out again? well, atleast first gear not being good?

im not too sure, the only experience i've had with a tranny dying is the minor slippage i get in OD on my pathy right now, and my buddy's half ton chev that was slipping in all gears. He eventually had to put it in 4 lo and jam the pedal to the floor just to move a few feet (killed it within 10 minutes of driving, from minor slippage, to full blown dead). I would almost say its a computer/electrical related issue if the engine is bogging the way you say... not to mention it seems weird that the rpm is going up then down rapidly.

maybe a more detailed description of what is happening would help? How high exactly does the rpm jump to?

Just my thoughts.

I'm assuming its an auto ?? How is reverse, seems like 90% of the time thats the first indication of tranny failure. Do you have an aftermarket cooler ? I'm guessing (totally) throttle position sensor ?? Have you checked all the wiring connections underneath and under hood ??

B

rpm wise, 1500 to 2500 from 2500 to 1500, just up and down when i'm gasing it. while in the process i get no wheel spin.

aftermarket tranny cooler, don't have one. and when i put it in reverse and floor it, the wheels just sit there and spin like krazy. i changed my throttle position sensor just about a year ago.

Sounds like engine not tranny to me. I'd guess ignition failure/breakup. Hose everything down with WD40 and see it it still does it. Also check you rotor carefully. 88 just found a rotor failure that caused his problems.

Sounds like engine not tranny to me. I'd guess ignition failure/breakup. Hose everything down with WD40 and see it it still does it. Also check you rotor carefully. 88 just found a rotor failure that caused his problems.

when you said, "hose everything down w/ WD-40" what exactly am i hosing down? and rotor? i know you're not talking about the breaks and rotors. what rotors?

I assume he meant igintion rotor inside of the distributor cap. I misidentified a picture 88 posted of a custom plug boot that had a hole in it and was causing stuttering. Perhaps he read that or did the same... Regardless, he is suggesting the ignition system and using wd40 to remove any water and/or help conductivity. Check cap, rotor and all wires; I dont know if thats the issue but lgranch has experience. With manifold intake leaks WD40 will actually speed up rpm....

rpm wise, 1500 to 2500 from 2500 to 1500, just up and down when i'm gasing it. while in the process i get no wheel spin.

aftermarket tranny cooler, don't have one. and when i put it in reverse and floor it, the wheels just sit there and spin like krazy. i changed my throttle position sensor just about a year ago.

Sorry Bud, but you are being a bit unclear here. Slow down and explain a little better. Your indicated RPM surges but the wheels dont spin, as in loosing traction or no acceleration ? Is the motor surging in accordance with indicated RPM ? And the truck does not accelerate, or just not loose traction ? You use reverse, floor it, and the wheels just spin like crazy ? My MT would do that also. What do you mean ? Does the RPM surge in reverse also ? How about what reverse does when you just drive normally ?

I don't know much about auto trannys, only owned 1 in my life, but if you give us a better discription of whats going on, I'm sure you will get good input. From what I have read and remember, surging with an auto is usually the TPS. But the fact you have no aftermarket tranny cooler is not a good thing as I know you have played hard with her. How does the tranny fluid smell, burnt ? Just give a comprehensive description...

B