Wierd Transmission Problem

The other day I got a call from my brother, saying that the 93 Pathfinder I gave to him just "stopped going, and all it would do was rev." I went over his friends house where he parked it, got it, put it into first, and nothing, the motor would free rev. I tried this in all gears and reverse, and the driveshaft was not turning at all when any of this was happening. I first thought tranny=destroyed, but there apparently were no warning signs, it just happened out of nowhere, all forward gears and reverse, so I am thinking (hoping) it could be something else. Anyone have any ideas, or any similar situations? I hate to have the tranny blown, because that coupled with the massive frame rust would doom the Pathy to the junkyard :(

I have to ask the question...Is the transfer case in neutral??? The tranfer case has to be in a gear for the power to be sent through.

Generally trannys do not fail instantly or in all gears at once.

That is exactly what I thoguht when I first tried it, it felt like the transfer case is in neutral, but it makes no difference 4 or 2wd :( The clutch is actuating in and out of the bellhousing as well, as I thought it could be a slave cylinder. LIke you said, it's wierd to have it fail instantly, which makes me think it could (hopes) it is something simple.

Could maybe a stripped input shaft be causing this? (not simple)

I had the exact same thing happen. My wife called me and said the truck would not move, no noise prior. Figured, crap my chatter finally caught up to me, the tranny's dead.

The first tranny shop said I needed a $2000 rebuild, the second couldn't promise anything till they took the tranny off the truck :contract:

Buddy of mine suggested replacing filter and gasket. Replaced filter and gasket on the tranny and it's been about 10,000 miles with no problem, it even cured the chater I had B) .

Denis

Edited by denisb