Plastic strut mount bearings?

dernt

I just bought KYB strut mounts to do a suspension overhaul. The bearings in these are plastic. Is this the case with the factory bearings too? The concensus seems to be use OEM Nissan strut mounts and bearings. Anyone have good/bad luck with the KYB mounts?

Yes, they are all plastic. I know it looks kinda odd, not what I was expecting to actually be called a bearing.

The consensus for Nissan bearings is based on a couple isolated cases where the non-Nissan brand made a popping noise after installation, and since it's a PITA to swap them out some folks suggest to avoid non-Nissan. But, I have the KYB strut mounts and bearings and I didn't have any problems. They appear to be pretty identical products.

If you're doing it yourself you'll have to deal with whatever works or doesn't work anyway. If you're having a Nissan dealer do the work I'd suggest Nissan parts just so if anything weird happens they would cover the labor to replace them.

but certainly KYB sells a zillion strut bearings so I don't think there is really a serious issue that they won't work, just a few were bad for some people. Luck of the draw, I guess?

m.