not the fan clutch

Guest goplay

Guest goplay

So I am having a problem with my '91. It seems as if the fan clutch is slipping (it is blowing air as it should do when you first start it up when its cold) but it does it all the time. I replaced the fan clutch thinking that would do it, but it didn't change anything other than putting a $50 hole in my wallet. Also, when I get it to high rpm's it squeeks as if the fan belt is loose. I tried tightening it, but again no change. Any ideas??

I'm not sure I understand your problem. The fan will blow air at any rpm. The clutch allows slippage so that at high rpm the fan doesn't turn at the same speed as the motor. The fan is very ineffcient at high rpms, and typically when you are turning those kinds of rpms you are cruising down the road with plenty of airflow. With the engine off you can talk hold of the fan and rock it back forth moderatley. You should feel a consistent resistance to rotation in both directions. If you tried to spin it like a spinner on a board game it would stop very very quickly.

I'm not sure your squeek is related to what you think is your fan clutch problem. How old is the water pump? Also, do you have an idler pulley for the A/C?

Hope this helps some.

A

Guest goplay

Thanks for the input. The fan doesn't spin freely (the resistance is good). The blowing is occuring as if the engine was cold and the fan clutch was letting the fan slip as not to blow air onto the motor. On a cold day when you first start the engine that is normal. It is happening frequently with mine. After I drive for an hour and pull off the exit it is blowing loudly. It is interesting that it doesn't do ALL the time, though. Sometimes I will drive a half mile to a mile and it will quit and the engine will run just fine (quiet).

Also, the squeeking only occurs when the blowing is occuring. Once the fan engages (or runs quieter) the squeek does not occur. As far as the water pump I am not sure. I just bought the Pathfinder last fall. I do have AC, but I am not sure about an idler pulley

Again, thanks for your help. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Guest goplay

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the fan blade is in pretty tough shape. It looks as if something may have got caught up in it and knocked around. The edges have a bunch of knicks and burs. I don't know if that may have anything to do with it. The local parts store said they don't have a replacement fan blade at all.

Hey.

I should just point out know that i understand what you are trying to say but you have explained it back to front and probably the wrong way round as well!!!

What you are saying is:

1: When you start the engine from cold, the fan is drawing air through the radiator, the fan clutch is engaged.

2: Sometimes the fan stops drawing, or rather the fan clutch dis-engages the fan, after half a mile or more, but on other occasions keeps working for alot longer, even though the engine temp is still cold.

3: You hear a squeaking sound when the fan clutch is engaged and the fan is working. When it stops, the squeak goes away.

Am i right with that??

I would be instantly suspicious of the fan clutch. Was it an aftermarket one or genuine??

Try re-tentioning your fan belt, you should have around 10mm of movement in the belt at its longest point between pullys.

The top of the belt should also sit up above the top lip of all of the pullys it goes through, not sunk down inside the "V", If the top of the belt is level or lower than the top lip of the pully, its time to replace. That could be your squeak.

Jagged edges on your fan blades could also be wistleing as the fan spins under load, but i doubt it!!!

The fans not catching on the radiator shroud any where is it???

• 1 month later...
Guest pathman
So I am having a problem with my '91. It seems as if the fan clutch is slipping (it is blowing air as it should do when you first start it up when its cold) but it does it all the time. I replaced the fan clutch thinking that would do it, but it didn't change anything other than putting a $50 hole in my wallet. Also, when I get it to high rpm's it squeeks as if the fan belt is loose. I tried tightening it, but again no change. Any ideas??

Did you ever get the problem fixed? I am experiencing the same thing with my 94 path.

I was just about to change the clutch fan out and put in a aftermarket flexblade fan in.

Nissan wants $283+ taxes for a clutch fan.

Guest pathman

I took the clutch fan off and its pretty much siezed. I can turn it but it is difficult.

I drive it without the fan and it is very quiet now. I watched the temp gauge and did not

move much. The flex fan idea did not work because I would need to put and fairly thick spacer in between the fan and pulley so it would clear the other pulleys. I went to the autowreckers they will have a clutch fan for me today for $85.

Ditto. I installed one from a 3.8L Taurus. I'm going to rewire it to the high speed instead of the low so it'll cool a bit better seeing as I'm moving to Florida at the end of the month. Sunny beaches, tiki bars and alligators... what a combo!