Steering Wheel Removal

Matthew K

Hello all,

Well, I finally narrowed down the cause of the noise/vibration I've been feeling in the steering wheel when I go around turns and over bumps. I thought it was something loose in the suspension, but when I was cleaning out my Pathy yesterday I noticed that the airbag cover is loose as I can push/pull it vertically (towards the dashboard and down towards the floor). This causes the same vibes in the steering wheel as I've been feeling.

Does anyone have any experience in removing the steering wheel on a 2001 or similar? I noticed there's a special hex bolt that I would need to remove but am not sure that I can get the tool from the dealer. Also, does anyone happen to have or know where I can get an exploded view of the airbag/cover assembly to see if it's even possible to tighten the cover up? Haynes doesn't really illustrate this very well.

One more question--if I do remove the steering wheel, does anyone know if/how I can reset the airbag light myself? I'd hate to have to pay the dealer to do it--I'm sure they'd charge $50 or more.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

I can also move my airbag cover, however it doesnt cause any vibration in the driving. When I bought the truck it had a shake in the steering that took a me a while to figure out, but it was struts and links up front, tightened it right up...