2001 Pathy wont shift into 4wd

Burner505

Hey guys, so my 01 Pathfinder has 113k on it. and runs pretty well. The only thing is it wont shift into 4wd. Like I physically cannot move the lever from 2wd into 4wd. Even if i pull on it with strength it'll move about 1/4 of an inch, just enough to illuminate the 4wd indicator on the instrument panel but no further. Then to get it back into 2wd takes just as much force. Has anyone else had a similar issueor an idea on what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Assuming you've also tried shifting with the truck stopped in neutral, first thing that comes to mind is the linkage between the lever and the transfer case getting jammed up somehow. I'd get under the truck and see if anything's amiss. Maybe get someone to try shifting into 4HI while you look at the linkage.

Like jjonez said, your best bet first is to get under the transfer-case and get to the linkage. I’d check it for any damage or obvious bends. If you can, disconnect the linkage from the shifting lever, and try and see if you still can’t move the lever without it being attached to the transfer case. If it can’t move, might be something locked up with the assembly that holds the shifting lever and connects to the linkage. I have a 2001 pathy as well, so if you have any questions or need pictures of what I’m talking about, I’ll be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk