Steering Rack Replacement

tthomasd614

So, I need to replace my steering rack. Leaks oil something fierce in many different places and the steering is way off. Anybody have experience with this? I have some pics to show what I’m looking at. Any help is definitely appreciated!

96 pathfinder 5spd 4x4 3.3l

03b5acd335dab74c094c705214b7a4e0.jpgbf666a1da69e5b7a029f7ed4a1d7c8a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't removed a rack and pinion setup in a long time but one thing that will definitely help you take this on is a good pressure washing session with lots of soap and get at everything you can top, bottom, and sides. It's a royal pain to be working in that tight area with that oil, grease and grime mix getting all over you and your tools.

I start off with removing the steering shaft linkage so that's out of the way.

Next remove your tie rod ends from the spindles.

After that drain as much fluid from the system as you can because once you remove the banjo bolts for the pressure lines it'll drain out all over the place and since you previously drained the system it won't be as bad. *A tip I found to work really well is to zip tie some small bags over the ends of the pressure lines just to keep them clean.

After you have all that out of the way check and see which side has more room to pull the assembly out of, it'll probably be the passenger side which means next you'll need to remove that sides wheel and secure the pathfinder so it doesn't move.

Finally crawl under it and remove the bolts that hold the clam shell type clamps down on the rubber bushings and wiggle/ pry it free. Then go to the side with the wheel off and snake it through and out into the open.

It might seem like a lot but it's really not that bad, all the grease oil and rod grime just make it look way worse than it is.

• Like 1