Replacing the brake booster

colinnwn

Has anyone replaced the brake booster themselves? I need to replace mine. It looks completely impossible to disconnect the pedal from the pushrod unless you have the arms and hands of a 6 year old.

I've had a sucking sound in the cab during cold starts the past 2 winters. I could fix it by pushing the seal around the pushrod further down and spraying some silicone lube on it. But for the first time I heard it when it was about 80 degrees out, so it seems it is getting worse.

I can't even get my head in there enough to see the pushrod connection very good without crushing my glasses. I remember being frustrated just trying to get silicone lube up there the last 2 times. I guess I need to put my contacts in to get a better look.

Haynes manual says as follows "remove master cylinder, disconnect vacuum line leading from engine to booster fitting, remove under dash panel, locate the pushrod Clevis connecting the booster to the pedal, remove the Clevis pin retaining clip and pull out the clevis pin, remove the 4 nuts holding the brake booster to the firewall, slide the booster straight out, then reverse to install." I can't really dig into this myself as there's a hurricane on my front door but the manual seems to say that you just disconnect this pin and it'll come off easily.

Thanks for the reply. I think you have a lot more important things to worry about. Hope you make it through with no damage.

I'll put my contacts in and really squeeze my head and arm up there to see if there is any hope for me doing it.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk