Upper oil pan gasket, difficulty?

Saturn

Search is broken so here I am. So I need to replace my oil pan gasket, and my Haynes manual says I have to drop the crossmember and subframe and remove the engine mounts and support the engine with a hoist which I don't have and can't really keep in my garage, It looks to me like I could get all the pan bolts off and drop the back of the pan down and slide the whole thing out pretty easily but I wanted to ask if any of you have done it if there's enough room and how you did it before I dive into this.

I did mine with the engine out. The pan drops down quite a bit to clear the oil pickup. I suppose you might be able to unbolt the oil pickup if you have enough room to get in there. You'd definitely have a way better chance of getting the pan off without removing the subframe that way.

Make sure you install the pickup before you put the pan back on though.. it is like a kick to the stomach if you have to redo all that RTV and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine with the engine out. The pan drops down quite a bit to clear the oil pickup. I suppose you might be able to unbolt the oil pickup if you have enough room to get in there. You'd definitely have a way better chance of getting the pan off without removing the subframe that way.

Make sure you install the pickup before you put the pan back on though.. it is like a kick to the stomach if you have to redo all that RTV and stuff.

Sorry to sound noobish but I'm just a lowly lube tech lol, what is the oil pickup? Is that the same as the oil pump? And where is it? at the back of the pan near the bell housing? Like I should lower the pan as far as I can and unbolt the pickup, then i'll be able to lower it the rest of the way? We have different motors too, I'm not sure if your pan is super different from mine but if I'm interpreting this correctly you might have given me a way to pull this off.

Edited by Saturn

The oil pickup is a tube that runs from the oil pump(front of the engine behind harmonic balancer) to the lowest part of the oil pan, so without disconnecting it you'd have to lower the pan all the way down. The pickup bolts up at the oil pump so if you could slip in there, maybe you could get away with not taking the subframe out.

I don't remember much hanging down after the pickup is disconnected..