Why does my 2WD transmission say 4WD on it?

Saturn

I have a 2WD pathfinder and i've toyed around with converting it to 4X4 but never did because I thought I needed a transmission from a 4X4 and that was out of my league given the amount of time i would have to work on it because it's my daily. But the other day I was cleaning the underside of my truck with a wire brush and noticed way up on the side of the transmission it has "4WD" pressed in the metal from the inside, like it pops out, so this was definitely factory, no one engraved it or embossed it later on. So basically...why does it say this? Looking at the pictures of a TX-10 transfer case's forward bolt pattern I don't THINK it would bolt up but is it possible? Have I been looking at wrong year parts or am I missing something?I have a 2002 LE 2WD, door date 11/01 because I know that matters for transmissions. Any ideas? Cause if the transfer case just bolts up then I'm doing this very soon.

The housing is the same between a 2wd and 4wd. The difference would be the input shaft length for 2wd and 4wd for the transfer case and an extra clutch disk and steel I believe. I can't remember if first gearing was the same for the car 50s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The housing is the same between a 2wd and 4wd. The difference would be the input shaft length for 2wd and 4wd for the transfer case and an extra clutch disk and steel I believe. I can't remember if first gearing was the same for the car 50s.

So I see that you converted your WishIhadmorepowerD21 to 4WD, did you just replace the transmission or did you swap the shafts and other parts as well? Should I even consider reusing my transmission if I go through with it eventually?

So I see that you converted your WishIhadmorepowerD21 to 4WD, did you just replace the transmission or did you swap the shafts and other parts as well? Should I even consider reusing my transmission if I go through with it eventually?

I did it both ways. Seeing how I was gutting the innards, I ended up rebuilding the whole thing. I would keep your original trans only and if only you had all the parts to do it. You would need the said shaft, the adapter housing and t case. Getting shaft is hard since it involves some slight disassembly of the front section of the trans to remove the c clip that holds the shaft in place.

Most people just buy the 4wd trans and tcase attached. Also I do not know the crossmember differences for the r50s.

Thanks man, I'll have my buddy at Infiniti check the part differences on the transmissions, if it looks like more trouble than it's worth I'll just replace the whole thing when I go to do it. R50 crossmembers are different based on drivetrain, or at least that's what I saw in a 4WD conversion thread a while back.